A DOCTOR attending to a woman in labour who’s child died said she tried to deliver the baby in the quickest and safest way possible.
The inquest into the death of Rafe Angelo continued yesterday at Portsmouth Coroner’s Court.
As the baby was quiet far down the vagina and she was pushing well, I decided it was the quicker and safer than a Cesarian because of the time it would have taken.’Sree Rajesh
As reported in The News, the newborn died shortly after he was born following complications during labour.
Kelly Angelo, from Gosport, was due to give birth at Blakes Birthing Centre in Gosport but was transferred by ambulance to Queen Alexandra Hospital after third grade meconium – the baby’s first faeces – started leaking.
Doctor Sree Rajesh made the decision for Ms Angelo to have a natural birth, rather than a Caesarean section, due to the position that Rafe was in when the pair arrived at the hospital.
Speaking via a communication link from India, Ms Rajesh said she was the registrar on duty and had only been on shift for 10 minutes when she decided to deal with Ms Angelo, as opposed to another patient.
The inquest heard that Ms Angelo was fully dilated at the time of the birth. Forceps were used as Rafe was lying on his side as opposed to facing downwards.
Ms Rajesh said: ‘I can’t remember when the meconium was first mentioned.
‘I went into her to review her cardiotocography as that is the first thing to do when meconium is seen.
‘One option was to take Kelly to theatre to examine her. However, as the baby was quite far down and she was pushing well.
‘I decided it was quicker and safer than a Caesarean because of the time it would have taken.’
Doctor Olie Chowdhury was the on-call natal consultant at QA. Thirty-three minutes after Rafe was born, doctors decided that no more medical attention could help him. She described Rafe as ‘floppy’ when he was born and his acid levels meant that it was unlikely his organs functioned properly.
She said: ‘We gave him five doses of adrenaline and three doses of sodium bicarbonate – that was used to help the acid.’
David Davies, former Chief of the Women and Children’s Clinical Service Centre, believes it may have been because of all the medication Rafe received that caused a faint heartbeat for a short while.
Mr Davies added: ‘If Ms Angelo did want to be moved earlier in the day, she should have as it was her first born.’