Elderly pair evacuated after fire in a kitchen

Mickey Parker

WATCH: Leigh Park boxer who won the fight of his life - despite losing part of his finger in gruesome injury

0
Have your say

A WARNING has gone out after a carelessly discarded cigarette almost led to tragedy at a residential home.

Firefighters were called to St Clares Court, St Clares Avenue, Havant, yesterday following reports of a kitchen blaze.

The incident was sparked after a still-lit cigarette was thrown away into a bin, igniting the rubbish inside.

A 69-year-old woman and 78-year-old man were evacuated from the home and fire crews contained the incident before the fire took hold.

Crew manager Glenn Kavanagh, of Havant fire station, has warned people to be careful when disposing of cigarettes.

‘What can be a small fire, left unattended and unnoticed, can spread into the room.’