Friends save neighbour’s life as Hayling Island flat is badly damaged in fire

Southwood Road on Hayling Island. Picture: Google Street View
Southwood Road on Hayling Island. Picture: Google Street View

FIREFIGHTERS have praised the actions of a group of people who helped save the life of their neighbour. 

Crews from Havant, Hayling Island, Cosham and Portchester fire stations were called to a blaze on Southwood Road on Hayling Island yesterday, just before 5pm. 

A man living in the ground-floor flat which was ablaze was fast asleep by the time the fire took hold, firefighters said. 

But were it not for the quick thinking of his ‘neighbours and friends’ – who heard his smoke alarm going off – he may not have made it out of the property alive. 

Hayling Island Fire Station tweeted after the incident: ‘Smoke alarms do save lives. Today neighbours and friends woke an occupier of a flat on Hayling while a severe fire had taken hold in the lounge.’

Crews used two breathing apparatus, two main jets and one hose reel jet to put the fire out. 

The man living in the property was treated at the scene but later taken to hospital for severe smoke inhalation, Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service have said.