Neighbour saves girl from house of flames

0
Have your say

A petty officer fought through flames and smoke to rescue a five-year-old girl trapped in her bedroom as fire raged through upstairs rooms of a Gosport house.

The fire was at the home of Mr and Mrs Douglass Briggs in Albemarle Avenue.

Mr Alfred Rawlins, 75, who was babysitting his grandchildren, tried to put out the fire and rescue Gail after her brother, Paul, eight, told him that his bedroom was on fire.

He was beaten back by flames and smoke.

Petty Officer Roger Perry dashed from his nearby house and raced upstairs to rescue Gail.

PO Perry praised Mr Rawlins for his efforts to reach the girl.

Mr Rawlins was taken to Gosport War Memorial Hospital with shock and stayed overnight for observation.

The upstairs was severly damaged.