Pie puts fire crews on alert

HMS Nelson entering Portsmouth Harbour before 1936. The tram gives us the date clue.

NOSTALGIA: The mighty Royal Navy dwarfing Old Portsmouth

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a high-rise after a smoke alarm went off.

Crews from Southsea fire station went to Handsworth House in Quinton Close at 12.30pm on Saturday, with nearby stations also called in.

But it turned out a pie had burned in an oven so firefighters cancelled the other crews.

There was no damage to the flat.

A Southsea firefighter said: ‘We attended the fire to find out that it was caused by a pie left in the oven, and subsequently called off the other fire teams.’

Nobody was injured.