A MOTHER’S dream holiday to celebrate her 40th birthday with her family was ruined after she suffered a severe bout of food poisoning – resulting in possible legal action against the tour operator.
Kerry Welton’s trip to Turkey turned into a nightmare and left her ‘in tears’ after she suddenly became ill, suffering with vomiting and diarrhoea for much of the family’s 11-day trip.
The mother-of-two was left suffering in her room while needing to be near a bathroom following the illness at the five-star Pegasos World Hotel family resort in Side in September last year.
The holiday was also blighted for husband Mark and their children Tommy and Elsie-Rose after they were forced to cancel trips they had planned.
Lawyers at Irwin Mitchell are now investigating conditions at the hotel ahead of possible legal action against tour operator TUI UK Ltd T/A First Choice.
Speaking of her ordeal, Portsmouth-based Kerry, who is still suffering with symptoms five months later, said: ‘We were all really looking forward to our family holiday, which was meant to be extra special as we were due to celebrate my 40th birthday which was coming up a few weeks after.
‘However, within a few days of arriving we knew something was not right. I was in severe pain with stomach cramps.
‘To have to spend time ill in my hotel room because of my symptoms was really upsetting. I was in tears knowing that we were unable to do all the activities we had planned.’
The family also reported seeing flies landing on uncovered food that was undercooked.
They said new dishes were sometimes added to food left to stand on the side while some of the crockery was also dirty.
Clare Pearson, expert international personal injury lawyer at Irwin Mitchell, said: ‘The first-hand accounts we have heard from Kerry and her family are deeply concerning.
‘The family not only went away on their annual family holiday but to also celebrate Kerry turning 40. Unfortunately this turned into a holiday to remember for all the wrong reasons.
‘We have launched our investigation into hygiene standards at Pegasos World Hotel and we would urge anyone else impacted by illness at the hotel to contact us and help with our investigation.’
Kerry, who runs her own wedding decor company, also had to visit the hotel doctor who gave her an injection. She narrowly avoided being put on a drip for an hour.
She also underwent tests at her GP surgery after returning home.