Portsmouth McDonald’s police incident - here's what we know so far

A 13-year-old girl has been quizzed by police after a McDonald's worker was sprayed in the face with a substance believed to be perfume. 

Emergency services were called to the fast-food restaurant on Commerical Road at around 6.45pm last night following the incident. 

Police in attendance at McDonald's in Commercial Road

A 22-year-old man was taken to Queen Alexandra Hospital for treatment yesterday (September 9) after being sprayed in the face by an unknown substance. 

Read More: Portsmouth girl, 13, quizzed by police after ‘perfume’ sprayed in McDonald’s worker’s face

He has since been discharged from hospital and didn't suffer any lasting injuries. 

Police originally believed that the substance sprayed in the McDonald's worker's face was a 'chemical substance’ and reported that last night. 

However officers investigating the incident now believe that it was perfume. 

Read More: Portsmouth McDonald’s: Police called to Commercial Road branch

Cops were set to quiz a 13-year-old girl from Fratton in a voluntary interview today (September 10). 

A Hampshire Constabulary spokeswoman said: ‘An investigation was launched after a member of staff at McDonalds in Commercial Road, Portsmouth was sprayed in the face with a substance at around 6.45pm on Sunday 9 September.

‘Initially it was not known what it was and therefore fire, ambulance and police were all called to the scene.

‘However, it is now believed the substance was perfume.

‘The victim, a 22-year old man, was taken to the Queen Alexandra Hospital for treatment and was later discharged with no lasting injuries. 

‘A 13-year-old girl from Fratton was arrested on suspicion of administer poison / noxious thing with intent to injure / aggrieve / annoy. 

‘She was de-arrested when she arrived in custody and will attend a voluntary interview later today.’ 

Read More: Portsmouth McDonald’s: Worker sprayed in face with chemical substance

There was a heavy police presence outside the Commercial Road McDonald’s following the incident last night. 

Two police cars were parked directly outside the fast-food restaurant and two more were pulled up close to the scene. 

Sami-Ullah Khaliq said: ‘I saw police cars everywhere.

'It’s not what you expect to see on a Sunday night.’ 

More from Our region