Residents evacuated from Portsmouth highrise

Share this article

FIREFIGHTERS evacuated all residents of a Portsmouth highrise last night, after reports of smoke rising from the building.

Fire crews from across the Solent region were called to White Swan Road in Portsmouth just after 2am this morning.

Smoke had risen after a heater was left on behind a leather sofa in a fifth floor apartment.

A spokesman from Havant Fire Station said: ‘The incident was attended by Southsea, Cosham, Fareham, Portchester and us.

‘There was a lot of smoke that had started spreading from the apartment.

‘Everybody was evacuated and fortunately there were no injuries.’