SHOPPERS had to be evacuated after a fire erupted at a burger bar this afternoon.
The blaze sparked in the deep fat fryer of the Pompey Stand Up fast-food joint near the public toilets in The Hard, Portsea.
A dozen firefighters from Southsea Fire Station were sent to tackle the emergency, shortly after 3pm.
The road was closed and the nearby area evacuated of shoppers and staff working on the new transport hub as fire crew fought to control the blaze.
They used two breathing apparatus, two hose reels and water jets to quell the flames.
Crew manager Scott Yule said nobody was injured in the incident and praised, the quick-thinking actions of staff, who isolated the power and gas to the eatery before fleeing and calling 999.
He said: ‘The bar has been extensively damaged by smoke.’
He is now urging all commercial building owners to ensure their equipment is regularly maintained.