We all have different ideas of what makes a perfect pub.
Do you prefer a cosy traditional ale house, with comfy seats, crackling fire, the happy hum of background conversation and a pint?
Perhaps it’s the banter and cheer of a buzzing street corner boozer, or gleaming city bar, craft beers and rustic snacks?
Yes, pubs are a haven of solace and authenticity.
This week we’re launching our 2018 Pub of the Year, our hunt to find the best boozer in the Portsmouth area.
We want you to tell us who balances charm and history, service and sympathy, a well-stocked bar and hearty food, all pulled together with effortless professionalism.
Who should make the top 10 from our list of nominees?
How to vote
To vote, you will need to buy a copy of The News which will include the shortlist and a coupon.
Post us the coupon on the Pub of the Year page stating your full name, address and voting number of your favourite from the list.
Post it to Pub of the Year 2018, The News, 1000 Lakeside, North Harbour, Western Road, PO6 3EZ.
Closing date for votes is noon on November 24, 2018.
Please note, unfortunately we can’t accept any photocopied or defaced coupons.
For full terms and conditions see a copy of The News.
Here’s the full shortlist – and voting numbers
1) The Apsley, Auckland Rd West, Southsea
2) Carisbrooke Arms, Carisbrooke Road, Gosport
3) Castle in the Air, Old Gosport Rd, Fareham
4) Clarence Gardens, London Road, Portsmouth
5) Eastney Tavern, Cromwell Road, Southsea
6) Eldon Arms, Eldon Street, Southsea
7) Forest of Bere, Hambledon Road, Denmead
8) Fort Cumberland Arms, Eastney Road, Southsea
9) Inn on The Beach, Sea Front, Hayling Island
10) Jameson Arms, Church Road, Portsmouth
11) Jolly Taxpayer, Eastbourne Road, Portsmouth
12) Lawrence Arms, Lawrence Road, Southsea
13) Lord Chichester, Chichester Road, Portsmouth
14) Northcote Hotel, Francis Ave, Southsea
15) Pelham Arms, Chichester Road, Portsmouth
16) Queens Head, Brockhurst Road, Gosport
17) Raven Pub, Bedford Street, Southsea
18) Thatchers, London Road, Portsmouth
19) The Artillery Arms, Hester Road, Milton
20) The Auckland Arms, Netley Road, Southsea
21) The Bold Forester, Albert Road, Southsea
22) The Brewhouse and Kitchen Guildhall Walk, Portsmouth
23) The Bridge Tavern, East St, Old Portsmouth
24) The Castle Tavern, Castle Row, Mumby Rd, Gosport
25) The Clarence Tavern, Clarence Road, Gosport
26) The Cob and Penn, Wallington Shore Rd, Wallington
27) The Compass Rose, Anchorage Park, Portsmouth
28) The Delme Arms, Cams Hill, Fareham
29) The Duke of Buckingham, High Street, Old Portsmouth
30) The Fareham, Trinity St, Fareham
31) The Fawcett Inn, Fawcett Rd, Southsea
32) The Festing, Festing Road, Southsea
33) The Fifth Hants Volunteer Arms Albert Road, Southsea
34) The Five Alls, Forton Road, Gosport
35) The Florence Arms, Florence Road, Southsea
36) The Florist, Fratton Road, Portsmouth
37) The Foresters Arms, Annes Hill, Gosport
38) The Fountain, London Rd, Portsmouth
39) The Golden Lion, High Street, Southwick
40) The Golden Lion, High Street, Fareham
41) The Green Posts, London Rd, Portsmouth
42) The Heathfield Arms, Blackbrook Rd, Fareham
43) The Jolly Miller, Miller Drive, Fareham
44) The Junction Tavern, Leesland Road, Gosport
45) The Kings, Albert Road, Southsea
46) The Leopold Tavern, Albert Road, Southsea
47) The Lifeboat Inn, Sea Front, Hayling Island
48) The Marmion, Marmion Road, Southsea
49) The Miners Arms, Funtley Rd, Funtley
50) The Nell Gwynne, Jessie Road, Southsea
51) The Newcome Arms, Newcome Road, Portsmouth
52) The Old House at Home, South Street, Havant
53) The Old House at Home, Locksway Road, Milton
54) The Pembroke, Pembroke Rd, Old Portsmouth
55) The Pheonix, Duncan Rd, Southsea
56) The Prince of Wales, West Street, Havant
57) The Red White and Blue, Fawcett Rd, Southsea
58) The Rose in June, Milton Road, Portsmouth
59) The Rutland Arms, Francis Ave, Southsea
60) The Shepards Crook, Winter Road, Southsea
61) The Sir Joseph Paxton, Hunts Pond Road, Titchfield
62) The Sirloin of Beef, Highland Road, Southsea
62) The Sunshine Inn, Havant Road, Farlington
62) The Swan, Jessie Road, Havant
63) The Tap, London Rd, Portsmouth
64) The Victory, The Hard, Portsmouth
65) The Wellington, High Street, Old Portsmouth
66) The Wheatsheaf, East Street, Titchfield, Fareham
67) The Windsor Castle, St Thomas’s Road, Gosport
68) The Woodman, London Road, Purbrook
69) The Woodpecker, London Road, Waterlooville
70) The Yorkshire Grey, Guildhall Walk, Portsmouth
71) Three Marines, Highland Road, Southsea
72) Cuckoo Pint, Cuckoo Lane, Stubbington
73) The Royal Albert, Albert Road, Southsea
74) The Wheelwright Arms, Emsworth Road, Havant
75) The Robin Hood, Homewell, Havant
76) The Eastfield Hotel, Prince Albert Road, Southsea