‘We need to know what happened’ – Family speak out after Portsmouth man missing for a month

Have your say

DESPERATE siblings of a man missing for a month have told of their turmoil at his disappearance and said: ‘We need to know what has happened to him.’

Vulnerable Scot Mackenzie, 58, vanished on January 15 without giving his family a hint he had plans to go.

Missing Scot Mackenzie from Portsmouth

Missing Scot Mackenzie from Portsmouth

Now in a heartbreaking interview with The News, his brother Rory and sister Shona have told how the Pompey fan was suffering from poor mental health before he disappeared.

Speaking ahead of tomorrow’s one-month anniversary of the last sighting of Scot, his sister Shona said: ‘I keep going over in my mind “where did he go? where is he? where has he gone?” and “what’s happened to him?”.

‘It’s just up and down. It’s the not knowing that’s the worst. If anybody knows anything about where he might have gone, just contact the police.’

Keen Pompey and Celtic fan Scot watches Fratton Park games each week and had kept in touch with former BT colleagues he worked with in Portsmouth and Petersfield.

Scot Mackenzie's brother Rory

Scot Mackenzie's brother Rory

Rory, who said his brother was a stickler for routine, said: ‘He would take the same road to work back and forth.’

Shona added: ‘We’re extremely worried and don’t know what to think.’

Scot has no ID with him, has no access to a working phone and left walking kit in his flat.

Carers who checked in on Scot at his home in Childe Square, Stamshaw, each day had thought he was just out shopping when they saw he was not at his flat.

Missing Portsmouth man Scot Mackenzie on CCTV at Lloyds Bank

Missing Portsmouth man Scot Mackenzie on CCTV at Lloyds Bank

He had moved there in August from the family home in Tipner.

But when Shona, 53, and Rory, 61, were told he had not been seen, they raised the alarm with police on January 18.

Unconfirmed sightings include in Stamshaw Road on February 2 between 10.20am-10.30am and at Queen Elizabeth Country Park visitors’ centre on January 29 at 1.40pm.

Detectives have pieced together CCTV footage that reveals Scot was at Lloyds Bank in Commercial Road at 1.45pm on January 15.

Police have since uncovered more footage of Scot at Portsmouth and Southsea train station at 2.52pm. It is unclear whether he then boarded a train.

The search has so far stretched the length of the United Kingdom, up to Scotland where he has family.

Rory said his brother’s difficulties meant his behaviour was ‘erratic’ in the weeks leading up to his disappearance and he may not be able to explain himself to anyone who sees him.

‘If anyone does come across him it maybe that he’s not able to give a coherent explanation of why he got there.’

He added: ‘He may have felt that he was going to come back to people that were exasperated with him but in reality we want to know what’s happened to him.’

Shona, who had last seen Scot on January 13, said: ‘If he doesn’t want to come home or he’s not ready to come home, to just let somebody know that he’s safe.’

Detective Sergeant Mark Edis said: ‘We remain very concerned for Mr Mackenzie’s safety and want nothing more than to be able to reunite him with his family, who are desperate to hear from him.’

He added: ‘You may feel like the information you have can’t possibly help, but please let us be the judge of that.’

Call police on 101 quoting 44180023652.