College do the damage with fast start at home

areham's Richard Horler receiving his trophy from Portsmouth & District president Les Pyecroft OBE
areham's Richard Horler receiving his trophy from Portsmouth & District president Les Pyecroft OBE
Have your say

College Park delivered a stylish performance to beat Copnor by 59 shots in the Portsmouth & District midweek triples town divisional play-off.

The decisive blows were struck in the home leg for red division winners College Park.

Mick Pople’s trio led the way with a 25-shot victory and that helped fire the team to a 55-shot lead.

Blue division winners Copnor were always going to be up against it to recover the deficit in the second leg.

Instead, they found things quickly got worse for them at Swordsands.

College added another 18 shots to their big lead in the first six ends of the second leg before easing off.

That allowed Copnor to cut back College’s second-leg win to four shots, before time was called on the match after 16 ends.

That meant College Park retained their town divisional title.

Meanwhile, the Portsmouth & District champion of champions competition was held last weekend.

The early rounds were played on the Milton Park greens, with the semi-finals and final being played at Southsea Waverley’s home.

On the Saturday, of the 15 club champions who turned up, Lewis Voysey, Steve Watt, Richard Horler and Jamie Cooke battled through two rounds each to reach the semi-final stages.

In the first semi-final, Leigh Park’s Voysey took on Priory’s Watt.

After 11 ends, they were tied at 10-10 but then Voysey took command, winning the next four ends to run out a 21-10 winner.

The second semi-final, between Fareham’s Horler and Alexandra’s Cooke, was a much tighter affair, taking 25 ends to find the winner.

It was nip and tuck between both players as first one then the other took the lead.

At 18-18, Cooke then picked up a two to stand 20-18 and was lying game until Horler’s last bowl, which trailed the jack to give him three shots and the game.

Following a suitable break to allow Horler to recover, the final took place and after a cagey start Voysey appeared to take control, building up a 16-10 lead after 17 ends.

However, Horler fought back to pick up seven shots on the next two ends.

They then traded shots until Voysey stood 19-18 up after 22 ends.

On the 23rd, Voysey held two good shots to lie game until Horler’s third bowl which, under extreme pressure, played on to the shot bowl and moved it enough to require a measure, which Horler won to tie the game at 19-19.

Then, with his last bowl on the next end, Horler not only trailed the jack to leave him holding lying the two he required but also into a spot on the green that Voysey felt he had to play a weighted wood to save the game.

His attempt failed and Horler, after 49 ends of tight bowls, was crowned champion of champions.