In-form Fareham steam ahead

Vospers' Dave Harding
Vospers' Dave Harding
Gosport Forton Bowling CLub team members, back row, left to right:  Eric Meighan, Byron Lewis, Mick Lush,
Graham Sampson and Rob Williams
. Front Row, left to right: Steve Anderson, Brian Croucher (team captain
holding cup) and Malcolm Stimpson.

Another one for the trophy cabinet

Have your say

With just three games played, three teams have already occupied the top spot in division one – and champions, Southsea Waverley aren’t one of them.

The first team to hit the dizzy heights were Vospers.

But they came down to earth when they only managed to tie with Alexandra, who were making their return to the first division.

Playing at the Northern Road club, Dave Harding scored three shots in the final two ends to beat Alan Sprake by two.

Ray Porter won seven of the final eight ends to turn a seven-shot deficit into a one-shot victory against Carl Baggott, and Peter Sansbury was always in the ascendancy to beat Jonathan Leggett by five shots.

But the rink that included Alexandra captain Bob Floyd and was skipped by Barry Harman, saved the day for the hosts with an eight-shot victory against Bob Chadwick.

Alexandra then went on to gain their first victory with a 20-shot success at Canoe Lake against Star & Crescent.

The second team in the hot seat were Rowner who, in the first game of the week, visited and beat Denmead by 14 shots.

Leading the way was Keith Gerrard, with a 16-shot victory against Roland Bloy, and Graeme Coles who scored 10 in the final four ends to beat Martyn Dubb by nine.

There was some consolation for Denmead after Dave Baxter won by nine against Barry Stafford and Glyn Jones enjoyed a two-shot success against Bob Ross.

Rowner’s spell at the top was shortlived thanks to Fareham.

In their first game of the week, they lowered the Southsea Waverley colours, beating them by nine shots.

They were then 21 shots too good for Rowner.

Fareham’s victory against the champs was mainly due to the 16-shot victory of Charlie Bailey against Iain Mackenzie.

Waverley did have a 25-per-cent deduction on the Paul Cooke-skipped rink as one of their players failed to arrive at in time, which led to a loss of six shots.

There was a little joy for Waverley as Gary Starks won by 10 against Cyril Friend and Barry Starks tied with Tony Coles.

Fareham then raced to the top spot when they took 14 of the 16 points on offer in their game against Rowner.

It was not long before Waverley found their form and moved into second place with a 10-shot victory against Lee on Solent.

Iain Mackenzie recovered his form and was a 17-shot winner against Phil Penn and Paul Cooke enjoyed a nine-shot win against Barry Grinaway.

Meanwhile, for Lee, Eric Brierley won by 15 shots against Barry Starks and Terry Rye won the final two ends to beat Gary Starks by one shot.

It had not been a good week for Lee on Solent.

Before visiting the Southsea club they played Star & Crescent at Lee.

There, before playing the final end across the board, they led by 11 shots but thanks to a four by Paul Whiffin, threes by Mel Wilde and Simon Filippi and a single by Tony Kneller for Star, they had to settle for a tie.

Having returned to the division with a tie in their second game of the week, Alexandra got back into the winning habit with a 20-shot victory at Canoe Lake against Star & Crescent.

Young star Jonathan Leggett enjoyed an 11-shot win against Simon Filippi.

Alan Sprake won the final five ends to turn a seven-shot deficit into a six-shot victory against Tony Kneller and Carl Baggott won by 11 against Paul Whiffin.

The only crumb of comfort for Star was the seven-shot success of Mel Wilde against Barry Harman.

College Park broke the ice for the season with a 10-shot victory against Denmead, thanks to a 17-shot win by Mike Elliott against Dave Baxter and a two-shot win by Dave Smith against Martyn Dubb.

For Denmead, Roland Bloy won by seven against Adrian Snook and Glyn Jones was a two-shot winner against Paul Lawrence.