How Pompey’s League Two rivals fared this weekend

It proved to be a good weekend for Keith Curle's Carlisle side   Picture: Joe Pepler
It proved to be a good weekend for Keith Curle's Carlisle side Picture: Joe Pepler
Have your say

Carlisle closed the gap on the top two in League Two with a 2-1 win at Wycombe.

With leaders Doncaster and second-placed Plymouth held to 1-1 draws against Luton and Hartlepool respectively, Keith Curle’s men took advantage with victory at Adams Park.

Adebayo Akinfenwa headed Wycombe into an early lead from Anthony Stewart’s first-time cross but Carlisle were level shortly afterwards when Reggie Lambe’s pass picked out Jamie Proctor and he fired home from the edge of the box.

Lambe slid in a second for the Cumbrians in the 34th minute and they held on to move three points behind Argyle and six off Rovers.

Carlisle boss Keith Curle said: ‘Wycombe are very good at what they do and they offer up different challenges within a game.

‘It was always going to be a battering of an afternoon and our lads were drilled that if they showed any weakness in their ranks at all, Wycombe would expose and find it.

‘They want to see who isn’t up for it and who isn’t brave enough.

‘I have to say, we have a lot of respect for the way Wycombe play because it gets them results.

‘Teams can come unstuck here if they show any kind of soft centre.

‘I thought we stood up manfully to the challenge and we dealt with it.’

At the Keepmoat Stadium, Jordan Cook broke the deadlock for fourth-placed Luton in the 54th minute, driving a low shot across the goalkeeper and into the bottom corner.

But Doncaster grabbed an equaliser with 10 minutes remaining when youngster Alfie May raced through to score.

Matty Kennedy’s superb curling effort from 25 yards rescued a point for Plymouth after Hartlepool had led at the break through Rhys Oates’ close-range strike.

At the bottom, Jon Stead scored twice to help Notts County to a dramatic 3-2 victory at relegation rivals Leyton Orient.

Kevin Nolan’s men took the lead in the 35th minute when a flick into the area from Stead was missed by an Orient defender allowing Jorge Grant to lift the ball over the goalkeeper.

The Magpies extended their lead early in the second half when Stead’s looping effort beat goalkeeper Sam Sargeant, but Orient were straight back into the game as ex-Blues loanee Paul McCallum nodded in from close range.

Orient levelled with nine minutes remaining when Teddy Mezague lashed in his first goal for the club but it was the visitors who snatched victory when Stead steered in his second after good work from Marc Bola.

Bottom club Newport allowed a two-goal lead to slip as they were beaten 3-2 at Cambridge.

Former Pompey striker Ryan Bird’s close-range finish from Josh Sheehan’s low cross gave Newport a half-time lead and the front man scored his second after 57 minutes with an impressive side-foot volley.

Cambridge were back in it after 63 minutes when Barry Corr powered in a header and Leon Legge brought them level with another towering header nine minutes later.

Newport’s Mitch Rose was sent off in conceding a last-gasp penalty at the death and although George Maris’ penalty was saved by Joe Day, Mark Roberts followed up to score.

Goals from Tin Plavotic and Billy Waters earned Cheltenham a 2-0 win against Yeovil.

Everton loanee Calum Dyson scored twice to help Grimsby to a 3-0 win against 10-man Mansfield and Paul Mullin bagged a brace as Morecambe claimed a 3-1 win at Crawley.

Elsewhere, Crewe came from two goals down to draw 2-2 at Blackpool, Accrington held on with 10 men to beat Colchester 2-1 and Exeter were held to a 1-1 draw by Stevenage.