FLOYD MOORE has targeted regaining his Southern Area title after delivering an explosive ring return.
The Fareham favourite battered Bulgarian Kristian Dochev into submission at the Mountbatten Centre on Saturday night.
Moore’s concussive power was evident as he blew away his usually durable opponent in front of a packed crowd.
It was just the third time Dochev had been stopped in 33 contests as the lightweight put him down in the first, third and sixth rounds before the towel came in.
A perfectly-timed right down the middle looked as if it was going to bring the contest to an early close as Dochev was dropped heavily.
The 22-year-old made it to his corner after the bell but Moore then showcased his full repertoire and put his rival down at the start of the third.
It’s the Southern Area title I’m after now. That’s the one I want.’Floyd Moore
Dochev showed all of his resolve to come roaring back, though, with Moore forced to hold on as he was caught with a short left as he came forward.
Round five saw the 24-year-old turn up the pressure but all of the vulnerability which makes Moore’s contests dramatic was evident.
The fact the entertainer possesses one-punch knockout power was telling and that saw Dochev take his third trip to the canvas in the sixth.
The towel rightly followed from the Bulgarian’s corner with the referee set to wave off the contest – much to the delight of the home favourite’s army of support.
Now Moore is out to regain the title he lost to Adam Dingsdale last year in disputed fashion, after ending a run of three defeats in 2014. He admitted a difficult year tested his resolve.
But now the spark has returned to his boxing.
Moore said: ‘I’ve had the biggest up and down career in the south.
‘But the thing which has got stronger and stronger is the support.
‘I’ve come off three losses, so it felt amazing to do it in front of them and put on a show.
‘It got to the stage where I didn’t want to fight.
‘Dochev doesn’t get stopped. I was told it was impossible to stop him before the fight.
‘I’ve got power but there are a lot of other things to work on.
‘But my promoters are looking to build me up.
‘It’s the Southern Area title I’m after now. That’s the one I want.’
Meanwhile, Lucas Ballingall celebrated his ‘dream coming true’ after making a winning start to his professional career.
Ballingall outpointed Qasam Hussain 40-35 over four rounds at super-featherweight, despite conceding weight to his opponent.
Regardless of it being his first night as a pro boxer, Ballingall looked immediately comfortable. Hussain was eventually deducted a point for holding but Ballingall handled his antics well.
The 18-year-old is now looking to build his record and work towards picking up a belt.
Ballingall said: ‘I want to keep getting wins on these shows and hopefully box for titles in a year or two.
‘Hussain held on and made it tricky. I’ve worked on angles for quite a while and learned a lot from the experience.
‘This is what I’ve always wanted to do. This is my dream coming true.
‘Now I want to keep boxing and get a title shot in a year or two.’