Oakey: Return is to bury demons
Tony Oakey's return to boxing has been confirmed.
The Leigh Park Warrior has agreed an intriguing clash with America’s former world champ Jeff Lacy.
Oakey will make his competitive ring return six years on from his retirement.
The 40-year-old explained he is taking on the challenge of facing Lacy to put his boxing demons to bed.
The former WBU, British, Commonwealth and Prizefighter champ believes the clash is bigger than any he had in his 36-fight pro career.
Oakey said: ‘There are no half measures. There can’t be.
This is about me and putting my demons to bed.
‘It’s the biggest fight of my career six years after I’ve retired.
‘I’m giving it my full attention.’
The meeting with Lacy is scheduled to take place in Bristol on October 1 at the Whitchurch Sports Centre.
A fight with the man who has taken on the likes of Roy Jones Jr, Jermain Taylor and Joe Calzaghe was mooted last year.
That never materialised but the contracts have now been signed to make the match-up a reality.
And Oakey believes it will be a contest which will live up to expectations.
He said: ‘This is going to be full on.
‘There’s a winner and a loser and he’s coming to knock my head off.
‘It’s going to be tough but how else would you want it?
‘This is Tony Oakey all over.
‘I’ve always done it that way and delivered entertainment.
‘I’m not going to have to go looking for him. He’s not going to run away.
‘It’s going to be an explosive fight – and that suits me down to the ground.’
– JORDAN CROSS