Hampshire in trouble as Glamorgan dominate

Neil McKenzie offered some resistance with the bat Picture: Neil Marshall
Neil McKenzie offered some resistance with the bat Picture: Neil Marshall
Andy Gorvin in action with the ball. Picture: Neil Marshall (171025-5)

Stone backs Havant to cope without Hindley

Have your say

Hampshire’s Championship division two promotion hopes suffered another blow as Glamorgan had much the better of day three in Cardiff.

And the Welsh club will be firm favourites to wrap up victory after an attacking declaration, a fine bowling display and another insipid batting performance from the visitors which left the home side in command of the game.

Only an exceptional bowling display from Jimmy Adams’ side can save them now as their lead is not expected to go much beyond its current total with just one wicket remaining, after they reached stumps in their second innings on 174 for nine – an advantage of 215.

Resuming their first innings on 196 for three, Glamorgan eased to 300 for six before pulling out and asking Hampshire to bat again – setting up a game, even though they were 41 runs behind Hampshire’s total.

But it paid dividends for skipper Mark Wallace, who then saw Marcus North pick up four wickets to steer his side into a winning position.

Gareth Rees, who resumed his innings on 84 not out overnight, moved into three figures with minimal fuss and was eventually the first man out after reaching 112 – his first Championship century for more than two years.

His 238-ball effort was finally ended when he edged David Balcombe to Liam Dawson at second slip, ending a fourth-wicket stand of 182 with Murray Goodwin (86).

That left Glamorgan 266 for four and, with no addition to the score, Goodwin fell 14 runs short of his third Glamorgan century hundred in the next over trapped lbw by Sohail Tanvir.

Glamorgan’s blip continued as Wallace was also out leg before to Tanvir for a duck. It saw the Welsh county subside from 266 for three to 272 for six in the space of 11 balls.

After reaching lunch at 298 for six, Glamorgan declared their second innings on 300 for six – two overs after the interval in a bid to set up a game.

And that move had an instant impact as Michael Carberry departed without scoring, thanks to a brilliant one-handed Stewart Walters slip catch from a Michael Reed delivery.

It got worse for Hampshire as North’s off spin accounted for two wickets in an over – Wallace stumping Adams (14), before Dawson was bowled (13).

From 28 for three, Hampshire found themselves 50 for four when James Vince (9) was run out from a direct hit by Hogan.

Sean Ervine (3) and Adam Wheater (0) went in the space of four balls as Hampshire limped to tea at 75 for six – a lead of just 116.

But Neil McKenzie (67) dug deep until he offered a sharp caught-and-bowled chance to Jim Allenby, while Sohail Tanvir (38) decided attack was the best form of defence in a partnership worth 101.

The duo departed in quick succession, and when Balcombe (5) was bowled by North in the final over of the day, Hampshire knew they will be right up against it on day four.

Either way, at least there should be a positive result and Glamorgan deserve plenty of credit for their aggressive declaration.