Havant dominate Alton

Havant overseas player Rohan Kandiah took a wicket with his first ball. Picture: Mick Young (141098-14)
Havant overseas player Rohan Kandiah took a wicket with his first ball. Picture: Mick Young (141098-14)
Gareth Berg bowling in Hampshire's win against Surrey. Picture: Neil Marshall

Crane and Rossouw fire as Hampshire maintain strong start

Have your say

Havant proved far too powerful for Southern Electric Premier League premier division rivals Alton as they cruised to an eight-wicket win at Havant Park.

Batting first, Alton were skittled out for a meagre 56 runs in just over 28 overs with all the home bowlers getting in on the action.

Ben Walker (three for four), Jeremy Ord (two for 14), Rohan Kandiah (two for seven) and Richard Hindley (two for one) all tasted success.

And it took the home side just 39 minutes to knock off the runs.

‘A combination of the wet conditions and us bowling well made life difficult for Alton,’ said former captain Richard Hindley.

‘Ours will be an interesting league again this summer with four Australian overseas players coming in to make teams stronger.

‘It may take a little time to settle down but it will certainly be competitive.’

In division two, Sarisbury Athletic started in disappointing fashion as they went down to a 109-run defeat by Basingstoke & North Hants at Allotment Road.

Basingstoke set the home side a target of 221 from their 50 overs.

Phil Jewell (five for 34) was the pick of the Sarisbury bowlers.

Sarisbury opener Ricky Rawlins (30) did well but when the home side collapsed to 81 for seven, defeat was inevitable.

In division three, Portsmouth & Southsea lost a thriller against Bashley(Rydal) II by two wickets at the St James’s Park.

On a slow pitch, Jack Davies and Mike Patey compiled a careful 93-run opening partnership.

But the loss of five wickets for 20 runs in the space of 11 overs derailed the innings.

Matt Smith (24) and Tom Benfield (19) added a busy 45 runs in six overs to help set a target of 162.

Bashley looked in real trouble at 75 for five with just 20 overs left but managed to accelerate and set up a thrilling finale.

At the start of the final over the New Forest side needed six runs, while Portsmouth & Southsea were two wickets from glory.

It was the visitors who kept their nerve to scramble home with a ball to spare.