Drake see off Newcome Challenge to reach final

Danny Smith
Danny Smith
Lee Cook of Phoenix North End B

Duke on the money as Taxpayer crash again

Have your say

Admiral Drake B booked their place in the final of the Denise Neale Challenge Cup with a convincing 7-2 win over Newcome Arms A.

Newcome started well with a 17-dart leg from Dean Jones.

But Drake took control as James Brooker, Sam Head, Barry Stevens, Danny Smith and Jon Bramble guaranteed victory.

Adam Lipscombe took a consolation for Newcome before Gary Collis and Clive Pearce rounded things off for Drake.

Drake’s opponents in the final of the Portsmouth Men’s Summer League competition will be Pelham Arms A after they beat Phoenix North End C 7-2.

Wes Farminer took the opener for Pelham but Pete Smith immediately hit back for Phoenix.

Pelham regained the lead with a 16-dart leg from Bruce Baker but again Phoenix levelled through Dean Messenbird.

Ricky Udy, Robert Blake, with a maximum, Graham Kemp, Paul Wain and Tom Farminer then finished the job for Pelham.

Stag A sit second in division B after a 5-4 derby victory over Stag C.

Stag C led 2-1 as Luke Graf and Mark Cunningham won games either side of a leg from the A team’s Roy Sands.

Stag A then took the lead courtesy of Graham Pedelty, Paul Hooker and Ben Ford.

Ron Farmer kept the C side in the match.

But Justin Henshaw won the penultimate leg to give Stag A the match.

Nathan Elverson took the last leg as a consolation for Stag C.

Pembroke secured their second win of the season in division C as they triumphed 5-4 over Artillery Arms B.

David Hatherley senior got Artillery off the mark but they were soon 2-1 down.

Robert Jones won for Pembroke and John Bailey was handed a walkover.

Artillery restored parity through Lee Lamkin senior.

But Pembroke put themselves on the brink of victory as Danny Jones and Robert Croft took legs.

Artillery’s Dennis Hatherley and Les Saunders ensured the match went the distance.

However, it was to no avail as Pembroke’s Martin Downs took the last tie as a walkover.

Phoenix North End C put their cup loss behind them as they beat Rose in June A 6-3 in division D.

Mike Feaver struck for Phoenix but Rose hit back through James Dugan.

Phoenix then settled the victory with wins from Gavin Hall, Pete Smith, Joe Standen, Shaun Smith and Arthur Hawkins.

Rose’s Bill Alderman and Robert Ford won the remaining ties to make the scoreline more respectable.

George & Dragon B moved above Stag B in division E after winning their clash 5-4.

George took control from the start as Philip Ponsford, Paul Drinkwater and Andy Wolfe were on the mark.

Dave Smith and Les Marsh pulled legs back for Stag either side of a George win from Tony Smith.

George’s David Mitchell took the seventh leg to win the match, leaving Stag’s Mark Barnes and Matt Jeffery to round things off.

Rose in June A came from behind to defeat Lord Chichester A 5-4 in division A.

Chichester’s Ray Williams was given the first set as a walkover and, despite Paul Taylor putting Rose back on level terms, Chichester went 3-1 up through Steve Ketchen and Paul Stanley.

Pete Curtis hit a 115 game-shot for Chichester in the next set.

But it wasn’t enough to beat Rose’s Shane Williams and his team-mate Ian Pearce to square the match at 3-3.

Terry Dugan put Chichester within a set of victory but Ross Hughes and Neil Sheppard won the remaining games to complete their fightback.

Kevin Gilchrist (Graham Arms A) threw a 14-dart leg, while Ivan Gicquel (Phoenix North End B) had a 17-darter.

Daniel Jafkins (Froddington Arms B), Danny Smith and Jon Bramble (both Admiral Drake B) all finished legs in 18 darts with Jafkins finishing on 129.

John Madison (Mr Pickwick) fired in a maximum.