Fareham fans given bans after alcohol row

Fareham Town's Cams Alders ground
Fareham Town's Cams Alders ground
Have your say

ROWDY football fans caused problems before and during Fareham Town’s clash with Newport IW yesterday.

About 20 supporters claiming to be Fareham fans kicked up a fuss after being refused alcohol at Newport’s St George’s Park stadium on the island.

Police were called but the group had already left by the time they arrived.

No further complaints were made so no further police action was taken.

But the fans in question have been banned from Fareham’s Cams Alders Football Stadium and the club have described their behaviour as ‘disgusting’.

Newport won the game 2-0.

A statement issued by Fareham Town FC said: ‘Unfortunately, a group of individuals who claimed to be Fareham Town supporters arrived on the Isle of Wight and caused issues both before and during the first half of (Saturday’s) game.

‘To the best of our knowledge, these individuals have never been seen at Cams Alders and are now banned from entering the stadium with immediate effect.

‘All sensible minded people at the game yesterday including our players, management, officials and regular away supporters were as disgusted by their behaviour as we are sure everyone else at the ground was.

‘We would like to thank the players and Staff at Newport for their understanding of the lack of relationship between ourselves and this group of people when we apologised after the game.

‘In particular we’d like to thank goalkeeper Cameron Farley for his kind comments when spoken to personally and tweets in support of us last night.

‘A much needed pick me up on a bad day for all of us at Cams Alders.

‘To anyone at the game, we continue to offer the same unreserved apology for the actions of those people using our clubs good name as an umbrella for their actions which have no place in civilised society let alone a football ground.

‘We have never seen them before and hope we never have the misfortune of seeing them ever again.’

Newport IW Football Club released a statement, saying: ‘Officials would please request that anyone connected with the club, be it players, staff or fans, refrain from commenting on social media regarding the crowd trouble which occurred in the home match with Fareham Town Football Club on Saturday 4th April 2015.

‘We would like to apologise for the actions of these few individuals and can confirm they are now banned from the club; we would also like to confirm that these individuals are in no way associated with either club.’