Horndean deliver footballing lesson to Team Solent

Harry Jackson netted a hat-trick for Horndean against Team Solent. Picture: Keith Woodland

Horndean handed out a footballing lesson to Team Solent as they romped to a 5-1 Wessex League premier division win at Five Heads Park.

Harry Jackson notched a hat-trick as the Southampton Solent University graduates were put to the sword.

Ash Howes and Tafadzwa Kanjanda also found the net for the Deans.

There was only going to be one winner after the home side stormed into a 4-0 lead before half-time.

Michael Birmingham was left purring following his side’s success.

The Horndean boss said: ‘This was an outstanding win.

‘Our opponents were dead and buried after 20 minutes.

‘We started off at a fantastic tempo and the football was a joy and pleasure to watch.

‘Our pace was electrifying at times.’

Meanwhile, AFC Portchester saw their promotion ambitions dented as they suffered a 3-2 home defeat to Hamble Club.

After a goalless first half, the Royals led twice but two goals in a minute enabled the visitors to fightback and snatch all three points.

Mick Catlin was disappointed with the manner of the defeat.

‘We threw it away after getting our noses in front,’ said the Portchester joint-manager.

‘From our point of view we gave away two sloppy goals.

‘Up until we scored our second goal we were in control.

‘Then we had a mad 10-minute spell – during which we didn’t defend very well.

‘We should have managed the game a lot better once we were ahead.

‘To score twice at home and come away with nothing is very disappointing.’

The Royals’ goals were scored through Nathan Kirby’s penalty and Andy Todd.

Baffins Milton Rovers came from behind to beat Newport 2-1 at the Kendall Stadium.

There was Russell-Cotes Cup semi-final disappointment for Fareham Town as they crashed to a 4-1 defeat at Andover Town.

The Reds were punished at set-pieces, with three of the home side’s goals coming from corners.

Reds boss Pete Stiles admitted his team were naive at times against the Wessex League premier division leaders.

He said: ‘We were wary of their threat at set-pieces but didn’t do anything about it.

‘It was all down to individual errors. We didn’t have any luck either because we hit the woodwork on a number of occasions.’

More from Sport