Deans denied as Moneys battle back to claim draw

Honours ended even as Horndean and Moneyfields fought out a 2-2 Wessex League premier division derby draw at Five Heads Park.

Tuesday, 15th March 2016, 10:02 pm
Updated Tuesday, 15th March 2016, 10:04 pm
Horndean striker Robbie Tambling, left Picture: Neil Marshall

The home side raced into a two-goal lead courtesy of Robbie Tambling’s first-half double.

Tom Chapman pulled a goal back before the break and Alex Shephard levelled in the second period.

For Moneys boss Dave Carter – who left the Deans earlier in the season – it was a point gained at his old stomping ground.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

He said: ‘We will settle for a point after being two goals down, although we finished the stronger of the two teams

‘They scored a good goal to go ahead but I was disappointed with the manner of their second.

‘Our goalkeeper made two saves and their player was still allowed the time to get in another shot.

‘Hitting back within a minute was important for us because it got us back in the game.

‘In the end, the draw was a fair result and it was a good competitive game of football.’

Horndean shot out of the blocks to take a sixth-minute lead with a superbly constructed goal.

Lee Tigwell picked out Jack Maloney on the right with a magnificent 40-yard crossfield ball.

Maloney crossed to the near post where Tambling tucked his shot just inside the post.

The hosts were dominating and on 22 minutes deservedly extended their lead.

Moneyfields goalkeeper Matt Shortt beat out a shot from Ian Humble and Tambling knocked in the rebound at the second attempt from close range.

The visitors responded immediately to reduce the arrears a minute later.

Horndean failed to clear a corner and Chapman rifled his shot into the roof of the net.

Shortt denied Tambling his hat-trick with a good low save.

At the other end, Derek Harding made a brave block to stop Blu Boam on the edge of the area.

Harding was forced to save with his legs from Nathan Paxton in the opening minutes of the second half.

Playing down the slope Moneyfields started to have more of the game.

When the home side broke upfield Dan Ayres looped a header over the top.

On 61 minutes, Paxton drilled a shot wide from inside the Horndean area.

Moneyfields drew level five minutes later when Shephard rose highest at a corner to head into the far corner.

It was a different game now with the city club looking the more likely to go on and win it.

With 10 minutes remaining Harding was forced to make another block with his legs to stop Dan Woodward putting the visitors in front.

Horndean: Harding, Callard, Tigwell, Hookey, Burt, Tayler, Humble, Hayes, Kirby, Jack Maloney, Tambling.

Subs: Josh Maloney, Thomas, Smart, Smith

Moneyfields: Shortt, Giddings, Bailey, Spurway, Chapman, Shephard, Miroy, Woodward, Boam, Austin, Paxton.

Subs: Gauntlett, Hunt, Dart, Da Costa, Seiden