Fareham and Moneys low in numbers but not in spirit - round-up

Wes Fogden has been so important for the Hawks

Driving-force Fogden so important for Hawks

Flu-hit Fareham Town battled to a solid 1-1 draw against Newport IOW at St Georges Park in the Wessex League premier division.

The depleted Reds, who had four regulars sidelined by flu and another two players suspended, had only two substitutes on their bench.

'Although it was a game we could have won, under the circumstances we are happy with a point,' said Fareham manager Matt Parr.

'We started well considering we haven't played for a while and produced some good football.

'However, we didn't quite do enough in the final third.'

Graham Lindsey gave Fareham a 32nd-minute lead from the penalty spot following a handball but the home side hit back with a 68th-minute equaliser.

Lindsey was denied a winner when the home keeper pulled off a top-drawer save to keep his header out of the bottom corner.

A makeshift Moneyfields chalked up a 3-2 win over Fawley on the Waterside.

The Copnor club made seven enforced changes through suspension and injuries but still came away with an important three points.

The Oilmen took the lead against the run of play after 15 minutes before Moneyfields responded with two quick-fire goals.

Dan Gauntlett fired in a left-footed effort from just inside the area and Danny Horrell scored after a run from inside his own half took him past four defenders.

Gavin Jones increased the visitors' control with a great left-foot volley five minutes into the second half before Fawley reduced the arrears.

'We played well in the first half but took our foot off the pedal and allowed them back into it in the second half,' said Moneyfields manager Miles Rutherford.

Hayling United made a miserable start to the new year as they crumbled to a 6-2 home defeat against Alton Town.

Fleetlands lost ground in their efforts to climb into the top half of the Puma Engineering Hampshire Premier League after a 2-1 loss at home to title-chasing Locks Heath.

Had the visitors made more of their chances, then the final scoreline would have painted a truer picture of the gulf in quality between the sides.

Fleetlands gave themselves a mountain to climb when Paul Pinder was sent off just before the interval having picked up two yellow cards for a foul, followed by an embarrassing bout of dissent.

But despite Locks Heath piling on the pressure, they only had a one-goal cushion going into the break after Joe Morton blasted the ball into an empty net when the home defence failed to clear the danger.

Early in the second half, and moments after Darren Bowman saw his fine effort come back into play off of the Fleetlands upright, substitute Matt Barnes doubled the advantage with a well-taken strike.

A late rally by Fleetlands saw Baz Snelling pull a goal back but it was too little, too late.