Former Gosport striker Lee condemns Borough to Southern League Premier South loss at new leaders Poole

Gosport Borough slipped to a 1-0 Southern League Premier South defeat against high-flying Poole Town at the Tatnum ground.

Wednesday, 28th October 2020, 8:10 am
Tony Lee, right, in action for Gosport in 2017. Picture Ian Hargreaves (170524-1)

Ex-Boro striker Tony Lee came back to haunt his former club midway through the second half with a spectacular long-range shot.

Boss Shaun Gale felt his side deserved to come away with something against a Poole side who now sit top of the table.

'It is disappointing because we didn't deserve to come away empty-handed,' he remarked.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

'In the end it took a fantastic strike to beat us.

'It was probably one of the few chances they had.

'We defended much better and passed the ball well.

'The only thing we didn't do was finish some of the good chances that we created, particularly in the first half.'

The visitors gave a debut to new arrival Owen Roundell, signed from Sholing, but were without Mike Carter and Matt Paterson.

Borough showed good early intent with Bradley Tarbuck sending a shot just past the upright.

On ten minutes Pat O'Flaherty came to Borough's rescue with a good low save to deny Lee who had gone one-on-one with the goalkeeper.

When Dan Wooden slipped Theo Lewis through, Borough's attacking midfielder saw his attempt to chip the keeper diverted behind for a corner.

Borough suffered a bitter blow on 28 minutes when main striker Wooden limped off after a heavy challenge.

Gale fumed: 'It was probably one of the worst tackles I have seen.

'The referee didn't even speak to their player.

'Our striker has got a huge gash on his leg and will probably have to go to hospital.

'It left us without a recognised striker on the pitch.

His replacement, Pat Suraci, was soon in the action with a curling shot that was diverted behind for another corner.

The opening half hour was an evenly fought contest with Tarbuck causing the hosts plenty of problems on the flank.

Another big chance fell to the visitors when Lewis played Tarbuck through.

Under pressure, however, the former Pompey and Hawks midfielder sent his shot across the face of goal.

Borough maintained their intensity by making a strong start to the second period.

It was the home side, however, who took the lead on 65 minutes to a stunning strike from Lee.

From 25 yards out, he hit an unstoppable shot that flew in off the underside of the bar, giving O'Flaherty no chance.

When Borough tried to hit back, Tarbuck's half-volley was saved at the near post.

Despite plenty of effort, Borough struggled to create chances against the well-organised Poole defence.

'Things aren't quite going for us at the moment,' said Gale.

'We will keep going and things will turn for us.

'It hurts when you play well and don't get any rewards but we will keep our belief.'

Gosport Borough: O'Flaherty, Williams, Woodford, Rose (Storey, 66), Tarbuck, Lewis, Wooden (Suraci, 28), Kavanagh, Roundell, Oxlade-Chamberlain (Teggert, 84), McCreadie.

Attendance: 492