Gale demands response from Hawks

Fareham will be up for taking on Horndean. Picture: Duncan Shepherd

Fareham to shine against Deans.. Baffins keep looking up

Shaun Gale is demanding a positive response from his Hawks side after they crashed 3-0 at home to Farnborough.

The West Leigh Park ground emptied early as fans showed their discontent with a feeble Hawks display.

And there can be no repeat, as play-off contenders Dover Athletic arrive at West Leigh Park tonight (7.45pm).

Gale knows it will be another tough task, but, with Sam Pearce, Mustafa Tiryaki and Bobby Hopkinson all back from suspension, Hawks are eager to put the woeful Farnborough display behind them.

'We need to move on quickly and fortunately for us we do have games in hand but must turn them into points in the bag,' said Gale.

'Hopefully we can get the Farnborough game out of our system and it is good to have the opportunity to bounce back so soon.

'It won't be easy because we have not had a training session to put things right but have

got to try to work a bit of magic.

'Having three players back available from suspension will strengthen us.

'When you win, everything is fantastic but when you lose it is all doom and gloom.

'We can't allow ourselves to drop too low and have to go again.

'That's two on the bounce we have lost so need to get back to winning ways as quickly as possible.'

Hawks went into the Farnborough game with four key players suspended, including first-choice centre-back pairing Ian Simpemba and Pearce.

But Gale insisted his side had enough in their locker to beat Farnborough, only for his team to let him down.

The speedy Farnborough attack ripped apart the makeshift defence, even before John McDonald was sent off 15 minutes from time.

Two goals in two minutes just after the half-hour doomed the Hawks to defeat and they never looked like getting back in it.

Time and time again they lofted the ball forward to strikers Manny Williams and Giuseppe Sole, who stood little chance against the giant Farnborough defenders.

'We were poor for long spells and looked as if we hadn't played for a couple of weeks,' said Gale, left.

'Goals change games and I was disappointed with the ones we conceded.

'I thought there were fouls leading up to their first two but you have to get on with it.

'Having four players suspended didn't help and we were down to the bare bones.

'We had to take a gamble with players at the back and it showed at times.

'I am not blaming the lads who came in because collectively as a team we did not play well enough.

'We were missing leaders and when things went wrong we tended to fall back into our shells.

'Our big players needed to do well and they didn't.'

It was no surprise when Farnborough grabbed the opener.

The home defence were caught square by a through ball and Dale Binns raced clear to take the ball past the advancing Hawks keeper Aaron Howe and net on 32 minutes.

Two minutes later ex-Hawk Paul Booth shook his former side further with a stunning second goal.

Booth combined with Dean McDonald before curling his 25-yard shot expertly into the bottom corner.

'At times we became frustrated and needed to play a short game because we didn't have a big physical threat up front,' said Gale.

'We came unstuck and made life easy for them at the back.

'They weren't tested or worked enough and all we managed was a couple of long-range shots.

'It is massively disappointing that we didn't do the important things well.'

McDonald picked up a second booking for rashly jumping into the tackle and Jack King added Farnborough's third goal soon after.