Gosport beat Petersfield to set up Hawks tie

Gosport Borough comfortably booked their place in the semi-finals of the Portsmouth Senior Cup with a 1-0 win against Petersfield Town.

Monday, 14th March 2016, 10:46 pm
Updated Monday, 14th March 2016, 11:19 pm
Justin Bennett

Justin Bennett hit the only goal of the game to secure a semi-final match with the Hawks.

The opening exchanges were fairly even at Privett Park.

Petersfield had the first chance on 10 minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

After a series of corners Howard Neighbour got hold of the ball in the box.

He turned and saw his shot beaten away by Gosport keeper Jack Higgins.

From the rebound Joe Briggs tried to fire home from a tight angle but the Gosport keeper was in the right place again.

The hosts took the lead on 18 minutes.

A ball in from the left looked to be gathered by Petersfield keeper Anthony Ender.

But Gosport striker Bennett beat him to the ball and headed home to put the Vanarama National League South side ahead.

Gosport were in the ascendancy after that but Petersfield almost forced an opening on the break.

Briggs hooked an effort wide of the target.

Gosport should have made it two after 30 minutes.

David Jerrard broke clear of the Petersfield defence but his first-time shot went well wide.

Two minutes before half-time Sean Wain fired a free-kick on halfway up to the edge of the box where Neighbour tried to head towards goal but his effort curled just wide.

Petersfield almost handed the home side their second goal two minutes after the restart.

Ender and his defender Olly Searle got in each other’s way after a cross from the right but Searle got back on the line to hook the ball clear.

Petersfield wasted a number of chances.

The first on 57 minutes saw good build-up play down the right.

Then the ball was played inside to Andy Todd who found Joe Richardson but he hit his shot high and wide.

Four minutes later a corner found striker Neighbour unmarked in front of goal but he headed well over the top when well placed to score.

Petersfield always looked at risk to Gosport’s quick breaks and Bennett went clear after a long ball.

But Ender raced off his line to block his shot and Ben Harding could not fire home the rebound.

On 71 minutes Gosport broke and the ball was pulled back to Jerrard but his low shot was saved by Ender.

Perry Ryan then tried his luck from 30-yards out but fizzed his shot over.

With six minutes to go Bennett’s first-time shot was saved by Ender.

Just before full-time Petersfield defender Lewis Hyde had to be stretchered off with a serious looking leg injury as the Rams exited the cup.