Happiness for Hawks is an away win at Hamlet ...

Hawks struck three times in the last 15 minutes to maintain their remarkable away run in the National League South.

Tuesday, 21st January 2020, 10:23 pm
Updated Tuesday, 21st January 2020, 10:54 pm
Brad Tarbuck was among the scorers as Hawks maintained their remarkable away league run at Dulwich Hamlet. Photo by Dave Haines.

A 3-1 victory at Dulwich Hamlet was their ninth success in 12 away matches and took them back up to third place.

They are now eight points adrift of leaders Wealdstone, with two games in hand, after overcoming a missed penalty and falling behind to a Dulwich side losing for the first time in 2020.

Danny Kedwell missed a penalty for the second time this season in a goalless first half.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

After Wes Fogden was fouled in the area, Kedwell blasted his spot-kick against the crossbar.

It was the fifth penalty Hawks had missed this season, with Roarie Deacon, Simon Walton and Anthony Straker having also previously failed from 12 yards.

Danny Mills opened the scoring for Dulwich six minutes into the second half. Allowed a free run on the right hand side, he fired his shot across keeper Ross Worner and into the far corner.

Home keeper Charlie Grainger was impressive throughout, and twice saved from Kedwell as Hawks sought a leveller at Champion Hill.

They finally found it on 75 minutes when Fogden was again brought down in the area.

This time, with Kedwell still on the pitch, centre half Sam Magri took the penalty and sent Grainger the wrong way.

Alfie Rutherford was one of three changes from the side which had lost 4-2 to Wealdstone at Westleigh Park at the weekend.

He replaced the injured Jonah Ayunga up front, while boss Paul Doswell also recalled Benny Read and Nicky Bailey in place of Dean Beckwith and Andy Drury respectively.

And it was Rutherford who set up Hawks’ second goal on 80 minutes. He produced a mazy run, weaving his way past three defenders, until the ball fell to Bradley Tarbuck to lash home from 18 yards.

With Hawks now well on top, Rutherford scooped a close range effort over following a Read cross.

But the striker had the final say with Hawks’ third goal on the stroke of full-time.

It was the perfect way to start a run of four successive away league games which continues at Chippenham this Saturday.

Hawks - along with Liverpool the only club still unbeaten away from home in the top six tiers of English football - then travel to Billericay next Tuesday and go to Concord on Saturday, February 1.