Five-star Hawks soar into final

Hawks striker Matt Paterson  Picture: Mick Young
Hawks striker Matt Paterson Picture: Mick Young
Have your say

The Hawks cruised into the final of the Portsmouth Senior Cup with a resounding 5-0 win over AFC Portchester at Westleigh Park last night.

Matt Paterson and James Hayter both grabbed a brace of goals with George Barker also finding the net.

The Royals battled hard but couldn’t match the quality on the ball of their higher-tier hosts.

Delighted Hawks boss Lee Bradbury was quick to praise his side’s attitude and application.

He said: ‘It was a job well done and our attitude out there was first class.

‘We didn’t take any liberties, did things right and played some good football – as a result we scored some excellent goals.

‘It was a good opportunity for me to look at some players who are playing for contracts next season.

‘We isolated Portchester at times and made our extra quality count.

‘And now we have an end-of-season cup final, which hopefully will be at Fratton Park.’

Wessex League premier division Portchester showed no early sign of nerves, with the underdogs launching a series of useful attacks.

Twice ex-Hawks midfielder Steve Ramsey curled threatening crosses into the area but the home side cleared the danger.

But it was Bradbury’s side who led after 14 minutes from a corner, following Royals goalkeeper Cameron Scott’s initial save – turning a deflected shot round the post.

Lee Molyneaux, though, diverted the resulting flag-kick to the back post where Paterson turned and fired into the roof of the net.

Paterson struck again three minutes later, easily picking his spot past Scott after going clean through.

The Ryman League premier outfit were in total control and Wes Fogden crashed another shot off the crossbar.

It was one-way traffic, and sure enough Hayter found the corner from the edge of the area on 24 minutes to notch the Hawks’ third goal.

It stayed that way until the interval, with Tony Easter heading the Royals’ best chance narrowly wide at the start of the second half.

The visitors the enjoyed a good spell, matching the Hawks, but rarely looked like getting through the solid home defence.

On 63 minutes the hosts sent on youngsters Marley Ridge and Alfie Whittingham.

A minute later Hayter extended the Hawks lead still further from the penalty spot after Strugnell was felled in the area.

And on 81 minutes Barker added a fifth with a fine solo goal.

To their credit, the Royals kept working right to the end in a vain bid to contain the Hawks.

Hawks: Young, Molyneaux, Strugnell, Stock, Woodford, Harris, Fogden, Barker, Paterson, Hayter, Tarbuck

Subs: Prior, Ridge, Whittingham, Rutherford, Lewis

AFC Portchester: Scott, Evans, Stone, Ramsey, Warren, Cain, Sweeney, Bye, Easter, Baldacchino, Edwards

Subs: Mukhergee, Mason, Pointing, Tupping, Quirke