Hawks need penalties to defeat plucky ServicesÂ

The Hawks needed a penalty shootout to beat United Services and secure a spot in the semi-finals of the Portsmouth Senior Cup

Tuesday, 20th November 2018, 9:11 pm
Updated Tuesday, 20th November 2018, 10:21 pm
Aaron Cosgrave netted a double for the Hawks. Picture: Neil Marshall

The teams were locked together at 2-2 after 90 minutes at Westleigh Park, with the Wessex League division one visitors pushing the reigning champions all the way.

Aaron Cosgrave gave the hosts a 20th-minute lead with a composed finish.

Services refused to give way, though, and James Franklin levelled on 35 minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Three minutes into the second half Harry Potter stunned the Hawks with a shot that deflected past Ben Dudzinski in the home goal.

Cosgrave equalised in the 64th minute but Lee Bradbury's men couldn't find another breakthrough before the final whistle. 

In a tense shootout Josh Huggins scored the decisive spot-kick to send the Hawks through to the last four.

AFC Portchester joined the Hawks in the semi-finals after beating 10-man Hayling United 2-0 at the Crest Finance Stadium.

The Humbugs had a player sent off after just seven minutes following an aerial challenge.

On 25 minutes  Stuart McConnachie gave the hosts the lead with a fine opportunistic finish. 

With the visiting goalkeeper off his line, the full-back sent a first-time shot sailing over the stranded stopper and into the net.

Brandon Miller struck in the 70th minute after a long throw fell to him in the six-yard area to seal the Royals win.

A first-half Steve Hutchings penalty proved enough to take Moneyfields through with a 1-0 victory against Baffins Milton Rovers at Dover Road.

The skipper buried his 19th-minute spot-kick into the bottom left-hand corner.

Meanwhile, Horndean got back to winning way with a 4-1 success against Tadley Calleva in the Wessex League premier division at Five Heads Park.

A third-minute Simon Woods goal set Fareham Town on their way to an excellent 2-1 victory at Brockenhurst.

Dan Brock extended the Reds lead four minutes from time with the Badgers grabbing a stoppage-time consolation goal.

The Royal Navy crashed out of the Hampshire Senior Cup after falling to a 1-0 defeat to Sholing at the Victory Stadium.