Job done by Hawks

Christian Nanetti teed up Dennis Oli. Picture: Dave Haines
Christian Nanetti teed up Dennis Oli. Picture: Dave Haines
Sylvain Deslandes could play at left-back if Dion Donohue is switched to midfield

Pompey boss encouraged by ‘good options’

Have your say

It was a case of mission accomplished for Lee Bradbury as the Hawks earned an FA Cup draw at Gloucester City.

Dennis Oli gave the Westleigh Park side a second-half lead before his strike was cancelled out by Scott Wilson just 10 minutes later.

But while Bradbury admitted he was a touch disappionted by the 1-1 draw at Whaddon Road yesterday, the main objective was to keep the club’s knockout ambitions alive.

And the Hawks have done just that, with the replay tomorrow at Westleigh Park (7.45pm).

‘It was a tough cup tie but I think we probably edged it on possession and chances,’ said boss Bradbury.

‘I was pleased with our performance because I thought we did a very professional job.

‘The only disappointing aspect was the manor of their goal.

‘We were undone by one long ball down the side.

‘But we showed good fitness and energy levels and stood up to the physical challenge.

‘I was really pleased Dennis Oli has come back from his injury and got his goal.

‘It was disappinting not to win after going in front but we are in the hat for the next round and that was always the objective.’

The Hawks sprung a surprise by unveiling new midfielder Nigel Atangana, formerly of French CFA2 outfit US Gravelines Foot, for his debut.

Bradbury also got permission from Crystal Palace manager Ian Holloway to field loan keeper Ross Fitzsimons.

Meanwhile, Christian Nanetti and Oli returned to the starting line up after injury.

Oli had an early chance but failed to get enough contact on his header 10 yards out.

Captain Ed Harris limped off after 10 minutes – to be replaced by Dan Strugnell.

But the Hawks took the blow in their stride and were making most of the running with Perry Ryan almost slipping Oli through.

The Tigers threatened when Lewis Hogg drilled a 25-yard effort narrowly over the bar.

When the Hawks returned to the attack, Nic Ciardini was denied a far-post chance by a last-ditch header.

Both teams were struggling to create any clear-cut chances, though.

Oli was furious not to get a penalty on 29 minutes when he went down under a challenge from keeper Mike Green.

And the Tigers almost capitalised only for Will Morford to head wide at a corner.

Nanetti then flashed a free-kick past the post with Green rooted to the spot before Oli headed over from a Ryan set-piece – but the half ended goalless.

After the break, Webb sent a header wide before Nanetti was scythed down just outside the area.

But Ryan could only curl his free-kick straight into the keeper’s arms.

The Hawks did draw first blood on 57 minutes, though, with Oli netting.

Ciardini held off two tackles before feeding Nanetti on the left.

He took on his defender and crossed for Oli to turn the the ball expertly past the keeper from six yards.

The Tigers looked for an immediate riposte.

And after Hogg’s header bounced wide, Wilson held off Strugnell to fire a leveller into the far corner.

Tackles began flying in as the two sides hunted for a winner.

But Fitzsimons stood strong to deny Wilson as he aimed a chip at goal and Jake Newton scooped the ball off the goalline to rescue the visitors in the final throes of the game.

HAWKS: Fitzsimons, Newton, Blanchett, Monteiro, Woodford, Harris E, Ryan, Atangana, Oli, Nanetti, Ciardini. Subs: Jones, Searle, Kabba, Harris A, Strugnell, Hutchinson, Przespolewski