Late goal denies Havant & Waterlooville victory at Maidstone

A STOPPAGE-TIME goal pegged the Hawks back to a 2-2 draw against Maidstone United at the Gallagher Stadium.

Tuesday, 3rd September 2019, 8:52 pm
Updated Saturday, 7th September 2019, 6:37 pm
Anthony Straker was on target for the Hawks from the penalty spot. Picture: Dave Haines Hawks vs Hungerford Town - Vanarama National South, Westleigh Park, Havant. Photo by Dave Haines/Portsmouth News

The visitors looked on their way to three points when substitute Danny Kedwell headed them in front eight minutes from time.

Danny Wishart scored a dramatic equaliser at the death, however.

The Stones had led 1-0 at half-time before Anthony Straker levelled matters from the penalty spot.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Nevertheless, the Hawks’ unbeaten start in National League South was extended to 10 games.

With Roarie Deacon prominent the visitors started the brighter and took the game to their hosts in the early stages.

It was the Stones, however, who created the best openings, forcing good saves from Ross Worner.

On 13 minutes Jonathan Edwards cut inside Dean Beckwith and the Hawks keeper pushed the ball around the near post.

Doswell’s men came under increased pressure and Wishart flashed a shot over the top.

Eventually the Hawks were breached in the 25th minute when EDWARDS gave Maidstone a deserved lead.

A poor back-header from Sam Magri fell to the home striker, who lofted a perfect half-volley over Worner and into the net.

Ryan Seager replaced Tarbuck at the start of the second half.

The Westleigh Park side were gifted an opportunity on 66 minutes when Nana Kyei brought Deacon down inside the area to concede a penalty.

STRAKER equalised sending Jake Cole the wrong way with his spot-kick.

And KEDWELL must have thought he’d grabbed Doswell's troops a fine victory when he netted with his first touch of the ball after being sent on as a substitute eight minutes from the end.

There was late heartbreak for the Hawks, though, when WISHART equalised with a header two minutes into stoppage-time.

Nevertheless, it was a decent point for the visitors against a promotion rival.