League One round-up: Peterborough extend lead at the topÂ

Peterborough extended their lead at the top of League One with a 3-2 win at Southend through a late goal from substitute Ivan Toney.

Sunday, 9th September 2018, 11:46 am
Updated Sunday, 9th September 2018, 11:57 am
The League One logo.

Matt Godden put Posh in front after 32 minutes and his second just before the hour-mark had the visitors in control.

However, Tom Hopper reduced the deficit after 63 minutes, and Stephen McLaughlin hauled the Shrimpers level with 15 minutes left.

Toney, though, snatched all three points when he scored from close range after 87 minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The League One logo.

New Bradford manager David Hopkin saw his side blow a 2-0 lead as Blackpool scored three times in the final six minutes to snatch a dramatic victory at Bloomfield Road.

Eoin Doyle put Bradford ahead from the penalty spot on the hour, with Jack Payne adding another just five minutes later.

Midfielder Jay Spearing started the comeback when he scored his first goal for Blackpool from the penalty spot, before the midfielder swiftly netted again to equalise after a second spot-kick had been saved.

Blackpool completed the turnaround in stoppage time when defender Curtis Tilt, who had been pushed into attack, smashed the ball home.

Second-placed Portsmouth came from behind to draw 1-1 at home against Shrewsbury.

The visitors went ahead through substitute Greg Docherty in the 73rd minute after a mistake by Christian Burgess.

Pompey levelled with just three minutes left with a penalty from Brett Pitman.

Barnsley, who are third, also hit a late equaliser to draw 1-1 against Walsall at Oakwell.

Victor Adeboyejo broke the deadlock after 54 minutes, but substitute Andy Cook secured a share of the points two minutes from time.

It also finished 1-1 between Sunderland and Fleetwood at the Stadium of Light.

Paddy Madden headed Fleetwood into an early lead after nine minutes but striker Josh Maja had Sunderland level seven minutes before half-time.

Madden saw his penalty saved by Jon McLaughlin five minutes into the second half as both sides had to settle for a point.

At the other end of the table, goalkeeper Matt Macey made two stunning saves during the second half to help bottom side Plymouth claim a deserved point from a goalless draw at Bristol Rovers in Saturday's early kick-off.

Billy Kee's late penalty earned Accrington a 1-1 home draw against Burton.

Midfielder Scott Fraser put the visitors ahead on 11 minutes.

Stanley, though, snatched a point with seven minutes left when Kee converted from the spot.

New permanent Charlton boss Lee Bowyer saw his side beat Wycombe 3-2 at The Valley.

Randell Williams gave Wycombe an early lead after just seven minutes, but an own goal from defender Sido Jombati on the half-hour levelled things up.

Striker Lyle Taylor put the Addicks back in front with 20 minutes left.

Naby Sarr made it 3-1 late on, before substitute Paris Cowan-Hall headed in a consolation during stoppage time.

Doncaster beat Luton 2-1. Matty Blair fired Rovers ahead inside five minutes, but the Hatters equalised in first-half stoppage time through Elliot Lee's header.

Ben Whiteman, though, put Doncaster back in front just 30 seconds after the restart.

Joe Pigott's goal on 52 minutes was enough to give AFC Wimbledon a 1-0 win at Gillingham.

Scunthorpe and Rochdale played out an entertaining 3-3 draw.

Lee Novak and Ryan Colclough put the Iron in control early on, before Oliver Rathbone reduced the deficit after 52 minutes.

Scunthorpe were soon 3-1 up when defender Charlie Goode headed in before Rathbone got a second on 66 minutes and substitute Matthew Gillam hit a dramatic equaliser with just seven minutes left.