Merson leaves it late to break Boro' hearts... Fourmidable Prior

Gosport Borough conceded a last-minute goal to slip to a 2-1 defeat to National League South rivals St Albans City

Saturday, 8th October 2016, 6:04 pm
Updated Tuesday, 25th October 2016, 8:17 pm
Jason Prior scored four goals in the Hawks' win against Harlow Town

Two goals from Sam Merson either side of a Brett Poate header saw St Albans emerge victorious at Clarence Park.

Borough made two changes to the team that beat Margate, as Warren Bentley replaced Ollie Bailey, and Martin Rice returned in goal.

St Albans opened the scoring through Sam Merson who eluded his marker to head in on 26 minutes.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Almost immediately Borough restored parity. From their first corner of the game, Poate’s header looped over the keeper and into the net.

In the second half, St Albans were awarded a penalty when substitute Rhys Hoenes was pushed over in the box, but Rice produced a superb save from Louie Theophanus to rescue Borough.

Despite late pressure, the visitors couldn’t find a winner, and Borough hearts were broken when Merson popped up to grab the injury-time winner and claim all three points.

Four-goal Jason Prior fired the Hawks to a comprehensive 5-2 Ryman Premier win over Harlow Town at Westleigh Park.

The home side maintained their unbeaten home record in fine style, with Matt Paterson also finding the net.

The Hawks made two changes to the side who drew 3-3 at Burgess Hill.

Ben Swallow and Matt Paterson returned to the starting line-up, with Andy Robinson and George Barker dropping to the bench.

Lee Molyneaux was starting a three-match suspension after his sending off in last weekend’s 7-0 FA Cup defeat to Ebbsfleet.

The home side made a dream start, opening the scoring on four minutes.

A Ben Swallow cross from the right caused chaos in the Harlow six-yard area and an attempted clearance flew off Jason PRIOR and into the roof of the net.

The hosts extended their lead on 26 minutes with Swallow again the architect.

He curled in a deep cross for the totally unmarked Matt Paterson who easily headed past substitute goalkeeper Ed Thompson.

Harlow reduced the arrears in the 38th minute when Syrus Gordon fired in a superb 25-yard shot that flew in off the post.

Within a minute, though, Prior drilled a shot into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the area to restore the two-goal lead.

On 59 minutes Prior completed his hat-trick as Swallow curled his low free-kick to the edge of the box where Prior struck a fierce first-time shot past the goalkeeper.

Prior bagged his fourth from the penalty spot in the 64th minute after Fogden had been barged over.

Kieron Bishop notched a late consolation goal for the visitors in stoppage-time.

Petersfield earned a credible 1-1 draw against Winchester in the FA Trophy.

The Rams gave debuts to goalkeeper Matt Petts and St Vincent & the Grenadines defender Shawn Benjamin, who joined from Moneyfields in the week.

Winchester, managed by former Rams boss ian Saunders, started strongly and were rewarded with the opening goal after 23 minutes.

Craig Feeney forced a fine save from Petts, but from the resulting cross Robbie Matthews outjumped his marker to score.

The Rams were level on 29 minutes, Matthews’ hashed clearance allowing Dan Simmonds to flick the ball over the Winchester keeper and into the net.

The replay will take place at Love Lane at 7:45pm on Tuesday night.

Other results: Dulwich Hamlet 1-3 Bognor; Portland United 3-0 Moneyfields; Horndean 2-0 Verwood Town; Lymington 3-1 AFC Portchester; Hamworthy 6-3 Fareham