Moneys pay for missed chances

Gosport Borough's Alfie Lis conceded a second-half penalty

Borough lose ground as they concede five again

It was late heartache for Moneyfields as they went down 4-3 to Guildford City at the Spectrum Ground.

It meant the home side pocketed the 1,100 prize money and a place in the fourth round.

Moneys paid a heavy price for missing several chances to wrap the game up in the first half.

They then had to play virtually the entire second half with ten men after Guy Rutherford was sent off for picking up a second yellow card.

The usually-lethal Warren Hunt missed a sitter just moments after giving Moneys a 15th minute lead.

He then set up Jamie Hore, who somehow managed to screw the ball wide of an open goal.

Dean Blake failed to tee up Hunt or Bickram Singh for an easy finish and had the ball taken off his toe by Guildford keeper Tony Hall.

Slowly the hosts worked their way into the contest and Joel Greaves equalised, cashing in on poor defending.

To their credit, Moneys responded and a delightful move involving Rutherford and Blake set up Gavin Jones to make it 2-1.

But, with celebrations only just finished, Jack Guilford popped up to tuck the ball home for 2-2 at the interval.

Things turned sour for Moneys after the break.

Guildford went 3-2 up as Hughes raced through the defence to net.

Rutherford was then sent off but Moneys were not finished.

They looked likely to force extra-time when Hunt levelled from the penalty spot after Singh was sent crashing over in the area.

But it was not to be, again due to untidy defending, as the impressive Hughes capitalised on suicidal hesitation to control a free-kick and rip a shot into the net for 4-3.

Moneyfields manager Miles Rutherford was not happy with the officials.

He said: 'Some of the referee's decisions baffled me and I cannot understand why my brother (Guy Rutherford) was sent off, as none of his tackles deserved a booking.

'What should have happened if we had taken our chances is that the lads would have won the match comfortably and because of our wastage, we eventually got punished.

'At the end of the day our defence wasn't up to much, we were, after all, twice in the lead and looking full of promise, only to let them back in and to go on to win the match.

'At the moment it's very hard to take.

'What is disappointing is the fact we have come through this far and scored three goals in an away match that should have earned us a place in the next round.

'But at the end of the day, to score three and let in four is not good enough, and that's why we are out of the competition.'