Bennett and Igoe turn on the style

Sammy Igoe was pulling the strings from Gosport's midfield
Sammy Igoe was pulling the strings from Gosport's midfield
Wes Fogden in action for the Hawks. Picture: Duncan Shepherd

Bradbury fires warning as Hawks eye top spot

Have your say

Justin Bennett netted a hat-trick as Gosport Borough cruised into the next round of the FA Trophy with a 4-0 win at Slough Town.

Bennett grabbed the man-of-the-match award but assistant manager Mick Catlin picked out experienced midfielder Sammy Igoe as the architect of the victory.

‘We have moved Sammy from wide out to a more central role just behind the front two,’ said Catlin.

‘This has brought him into the game a lot more.

‘Slough set up fairly deep and this allowed him acres of space in front of them to play.

‘Their defenders didn’t know whether to come out and mark him or stay put.

‘As a result, he created a lot and Justin Bennett was the main beneficiary.’

Bennett put Borough ahead after 15 minutes before Lee Molyneaux extended the lead just three minutes into the second half.

Further Bennett goals on 64 and 85 minutes left Alex Pike’s side coasting.

‘This is a competition where we feel we can get a decent run going, with a bit of luck in the draw,’ said Catlin.

‘A home tie would now be nice.

‘After a few years of struggling in cup games, we look like we are finally starting to get the hang of them.

‘It can bring in extra finance and raise the profile of the club further.

‘We want to progress to a higher level and in this we can get the chance to pit ourselves against teams who are where we want to be.’

Borough travel to Weymouth for a league game tomorrow night ahead of Saturday’s FA Cup third qualifying round tie at Blue Square Bet South outfit Bath City.

Meanwhile, Bognor eased into the next round of the FA Trophy, too, with a 4-1 win over Ilford at Nyewood Lane.

Three first-half goals from Terry Dodd, Steve Harper and James Crane set the Rocks on their way to an easy win.

Harper grabbed his second of the game on 73 minutes, curling home a fine 25-yard free-kick, before Ilford grabbed a late consolation goal.