Borough dreams of a Wembley return are ended as Hawks also exit Trophy

Nathan Ashmore enjoyed a mixed day in goal for Gosport Borough   Picture: Dave Haines
Nathan Ashmore enjoyed a mixed day in goal for Gosport Borough Picture: Dave Haines
Have your say

Two red cards, two penalties – one converted – and a goalkeeping error were the story of this afternoon for Gosport Borough at Privett Park, as Braintree Town eased into the last 16 of the FA Trophy with a 2-0 success.

Any hopes Vanarama Conference South Borough had of a return to Wembley, having lost in the final of last year’s competition were put on hold when their Vanarama Conference Premier visitors were awarded an early penalty.

Nathan Ashmore, though, fuelled dreams of another memorable march to the arch when he kept out Kenny Davis’ spot-kick.

But on the stroke of half-time the visitors were awarded another opportunity from 12 yards when Dan Wooden was adjudged to have committed a professional foul.

Davis made no mistake second-time round and it got better for Braintree after the break when Jordan Cox punished Ashmore’s dreadful clearance to double their lead.

Any remaining hopes Borough had of fighting back for a replay ended when Mike Carter was shown his second successive red card - and third of the season - for a reckless challenge on Matt Payne.

A late goal also dashed the Hawks’ FA Trophy dreams as Vanarama Conference Premier Dover Athletic won 1-0 at a muddy Westleigh Park.

The tie looked to be heading towards a replay when visiting substitute Ricky Modeste struck five minutes from time to beat the Vanarama Conference South hosts.

Petersfield Town cemented their place at the top of the Wessex League premier division table by coming from behind to grab a point at second-place Moneyfields this afternoon.

There was a big crowd at Dover Road for the eagerly anticipated match of the title challengers although in truth there was little entertaining football on show to excite the crowd.

Fighting spirit shone through however as a dogged clash was brought to life by Alfie Rutherford’s first-half opener for the hosts.

Ed Dryden, though, hit back with 20 minutes left on the clock to ensure Ian Saunders’ men remain at the top of the pile.

a late Stuart Green goal rescued a Ryman League premier division point for Bognor as they drew with bottom side Bury Town in a largely-forgettable encounter at chilly Nyewood Lane.

Justin Miller looked to have earned Bury victory with his 78th minute strike but the visitors were then made to pay for a penalty miss from Remi Garrett.