Borough feeling ‘a little robbed’ after Bath net replay

22/9/12   ''Gosport Borough in yellow V Bideford football action at Privett Park. Pictured is Gosport's Alex Pike''Picture: Paul Jacobs (123109-3)
22/9/12 ''Gosport Borough in yellow V Bideford football action at Privett Park. Pictured is Gosport's Alex Pike''Picture: Paul Jacobs (123109-3)
Hawks boss Lee Bradbury

Hawks knocked off top spot

Have your say

Gosport Borough manager Alex Pike felt his side were robbed of an FA Cup giant-killing as a late penalty saw Bath City snatch a 1-1 draw at Twerton Park.

The two sides will replay tomorrow night at Privett Park (7.45pm).

Southern League Borough led going into the final five minutes thanks to Dan Wooden’s header.

But Jamie Brown was adjudged to have handled in the area and the home side converted the spot-kick.

‘It was a bitter pill to swallow to concede a penalty that was harsh to say the least,’ said Pike.

‘I was too far away in the dugout to see clearly but Jamie insists the ball hit him on the chest.

‘None of their players appealed but it was at the Bath City fans’ end and they were all screaming for it.

‘We do feel a little bit robbed.’

Gosport set out to frustrate their Blue Square Bet South hosts in the first half and the plan paid off.

Keeper Nathan Ashmore got down well to push Sean Canham’s shot around the post.

The visitors also showed their threat with Nathan King firing over after good work from Justin Bennett.

‘We prepared well, had a game plan and it certainly paid off in the first half,’ said Pike.

It was a more open affair after the break and Sammy Igoe went close for Borough.

Bath gradually increased the pressure and Ashmore was forced into three smart saves to keep them out.

Borough stunned City by taking the lead, 12 minutes from time.

Dan Woodward broke down the flank and his deep cross was headed home by Wooden.

Just when Borough looked like holding out for a famous win, City were granted their late lifeline with the penalty.

‘Maybe we relaxed a bit after going ahead and City did put us under a lot of pressure,’ said Pike.

‘I always said this was our best chance of winning and we got so close.

‘That doesn’t mean I am writing our chances off, though.

‘We have proved to ourselves that we can compete with them and they now have to come to us.

‘Our league form at home hasn’t been too great but we have got two good home cup wins under our belt.

‘Hopefully we will be able to carry on and finish the job to reach the next round.’

n In the Ryman League premier division, Bognor lost 1-0 to Wealdstone at Nyewood Lane.

Richard Jolly’s 50th-minute strike condemned the Rocks to defeat.

The home side had the better of the first half in a hard-fought encounter but couldn’t make it count.

After the break, the visitors were dominant and five minutes into the half notched the decisive goal with Jolly outpacing the home defence to score.

The Rocks’ misery was compoun-ded in the closing stages when Kane Wills was sent off.

Bognor’s man of the match was dismissed for pushing.