Borough forced to do it all again

Justin Bennett puts pressure on a Slough defender Picture: Paul Paxford/Pitchside
Justin Bennett puts pressure on a Slough defender Picture: Paul Paxford/Pitchside
Steve Ramsey scored for AFC Portchester in their defeat at Amesbury Town. Picture: Keith Woodland

Bognor remain bottom after defeat

Have your say

GOSPORT and Slough must do it all again after a 0-0 draw at Holloway Park in the FA Cup yesterday.

Both sides had chances to win but they will replay tomorrow at Privett Park for the right to travel to Blue Square Bet Premier side Mansfield Town in the first round proper.

A potential trip to Field Mill is certainly not the eye-catching tie Gosport were looking for if they progress.

But chairman Mark Hook is hoping to win the replay and boost the coffers with the welcome prize fund.

He also praised the 200-plus supporters who made the trip from the south to cheer Borough on in a 550-strong total attendance.

Hook said: ‘I’m delighted with the result as it now gives us home advantage and another chance to earn the £12,500 FA prize money and the prospect of playing Mansfield.

‘We all know the lads can do a lot better but conditions were difficult and the draw – pitting us in with Mansfield – had to be put on the backburner.

‘The large following from Gosport was really appreciated and we hope to repay them by winning tomorrow night.’

Borough were at full strength, though Steffan Gaisie, who netted twice in the demolition of Lymington in midweek, had to settle for a place on the bench.

The visitors were inches away from an opener on 10 minutes.

Dan Wooden’s neat back-heel pass fell to Sammy Igoe who rifled narrowly wide.

Next, Dan Woodward’s run was halted by a high challenge from Slough’s Dominic Rhone, while Gosport’s James Brown was booked for protesting that no free-kick was awarded.

Igoe spurned another chance when he shot over the crossbar after Slough keeper James Warrington could only push out Ellis Martin’s free-kick into his path.

The bookings came thick and fast, with Ed Smith, Danny Burnell and Alex Brown, all of Slough, shown cards.

Woodward followed them into the book, while Gosport team-mate Brown was fortunate to avoid a second yellow after a foul in midfield.

Borough had a lucky escape before the break.

Keeper Nathan Ashmore’s clearance rebounded off Smith and rolled wide.

After half-time, Brown’s long ball out of defence fell into the path of Justin Bennett.

The Gosport striker shook off his marker but could only blaze yards wide.

Bennett’s next effort was better as he forced Warrington to spectacularly claw the ball away when the shot looked destined for the top corner.

On the hour, Brett Poate came to Gosport’s rescue with a good challenge to deny Slough’s Burnell at the near post.

Moments later, Martin kept Borough in the hunt when he headed Smith’s volley off the line.

Poate flashed a shot over the top as Borough pressed, before Slough missed a golden chance on 85 minutes..

Burnell failed to connect with a cross from Swift, with an open net before him.

GOSPORT: Ashmore; Woodward, Martin, Poate, Molyneaux, Brown, Igoe, Smith, Wooden, Bennett, King. Subs: Cook, Wilde, Norton, Stow, Gaisie, May.