Borough make history as Hawks earn replay

Gosport Borough midfielder Mike Carter    Picture: Sarah Standing
Gosport Borough midfielder Mike Carter Picture: Sarah Standing
Brett Poate

Defenders provide a big boost for Moneyfields

Have your say

Gosport Borough marched into the FA Cup first round proper for the first time in their history after a comfortable 3-1 success at Willand Rovers.

First-half goals from Mike Carter and Matt Paterson put Borough in command before Steve Ramsey made it 3-0 early in the second period.

Although Luke Alden pulled one back for the hosts, Alex Pike’s side were not to be denied, and the triumphant visitors’ task was made easier when Willand’s Luke Durham saw red late on.

The Hawks kept their FA Cup dreams alive with a 0-0 draw at Ryman League premier division side Canvey Island in their fourth round qualifying tie.

The two teams will replay at Westleigh Park on Tuesday night (7.45pm).

Battling Bognor were beaten 3-2 as they came out on the wrong side of a five-goal Ryman League premier division thriller at Leiston.

Joe Francis put the hosts ahead at the break but Rocks substitute Omarr Lawson levelled proceedings within three minutes of the restart.

Connor Hubble restored Leiston’s lead before Francis netted again in injury time to seal the points.

Ollie Pearce reduced the arrears with the last touch of the game.

Petersfield’s Wessex League Cup tie at Tadley Calleva rolled into extra-time as neither side could find the decisive goal after 90 minutes, with the game ending 1-1 in normal time.

The lively Brett Denham fired the hosts ahead but Andy Todd equalised shortly after.

But with both sides seemingly preparing for a penalty shootout it was Petersfield substitute Drew Moore who was the Rams’ last-gasp hero - netting with one minute left to play on the clock.

AFC Portchester recovered from a nervy start to book their place in the next round of the Wessex League Cup with a 4-2 triumph over Brockenhurst.

Braiden Hamilton put the visitors in front at Wicor Rec early on, before Jamie Musselwhite’s double and a Ryan Smart strike turned the tie on its head.

Hamilton converted a late penalty to give the visitors hope of forcing extra-time but when they were reduced to 10 men Andy Rinomhota struck at the death for the Royals.