Borough’s play-off hopes end as Hawks pick up a point

Mike Carter Picture: Allan Hutchings
Mike Carter Picture: Allan Hutchings
Have your say

Just a stone’s throw from the busy Stanstead airport, Gosport Borough’s Vanarama Conference South play-off dreams crash-landed, even after a last-gasp 1-0 win over Bishop’s Stortford.

Results elsewhere confirmed that this game was a dead-rubber and it certainly felt like that, with Mike Carter’s ultimately irrelevant last-gasp strike one of the only efforts of real note on a tricky pitch.

The Hawks fought out a 0-0 stalemate against Basingstoke Town in the Vanarama Conference South at the Camrose Ground.

With both teams already guaranteed their places in the play-offs, they were reluctant to give much away.

Wessex League premier division champions Petersfield Town proved they weren’t suffering from any promotion hangover with an easy 6-1 victory at struggling Christchurch.

Warren Hunt grabbed a hat-trick for the Rams, with Andy Todd’s double and a Will Essai strike completing the rout.

Fareham Town gave their chances of Wessex League premier division survival a huge boost after a superb 6-1 win over Hamworthy.

Bradey Norton struck a first-half hat-trick with Ashley Tattersall, Callum Laycock and Mark Cotton also on target.

The Reds now know that if they win their final two games of the season, they will stay in the division.

Elsewhere, a moment of misfortune proved to be Horndean’s undoing as they fell to a narrow 1-0 defeat at home to Winchester.

The visitors got a lucky and decisive breakthrough after the Deans’ defence struggled to clear the ball from a dangerous cross.

It pin-balled around the area before deflecting off Dan Hayes, and spinning past the unbalanced Lyall Beazley to settle into his own net.

Attacking trio Gavin Spurway, Gary Austin and Harry Potter all went close to an equaliser but it was not to be for the hosts.

A last-gasp Jack Salter-Vaile strike ensured AFC Portchester carried on their winning momentum in the Wessex League premier division with an impressive 2-1 victory at Whitchurch.

The Royals made it three wins on the bounce and extended their unbeaten run to 10 games in all competitions after coming from behind to beat Whitchurch.

Josh Warren had earlier cancelled out Danny Phillips’ strike.