Boss praises young Moneys after Cup exit

Jake Slater opened the scoring for Moneyfields. Picture: Ian Hargreaves (113346-2)
Jake Slater opened the scoring for Moneyfields. Picture: Ian Hargreaves (113346-2)
Steve Ramsey scored for AFC Portchester in their defeat at Amesbury Town. Picture: Keith Woodland

Bognor remain bottom after defeat

Have your say

Miles Rutherford praised his young Moneyfields side as their FA Cup dream ended last night.

Godalming came from behind to beat the hosts 3-1 at Dover Road.

Jake Slater had given Moneyfields the lead in the first half but the visitors hit back before the interval and powered clear after the break.

And a proud Rutherford admitted Godalming ultimately deserved their spot in the next round.

The Moneys boss said: ‘In the first half we were a match for them and still in it.

‘After the break, though, they were the better side and deserved to win.

‘The second goal killed us and – through a bit of naivity – it was a poor goal to concede.

‘But we have got a young side here, who have competed well over the two games.

‘We will now have to lift our heads up to go again.’

Moneyfields named an unchanged starting line-up to that which earned a 1-1 draw at Godalming on Saturday.

Leading scorer Steve Hutchings had recovered from a shoulder injury to lead the line.

But Moneys were forced to reshuffle early on with Graeme Gee sent on to replace the injured Jake Morgan.

The Copnor club drew first blood, though, when Hutchings’ neat through ball split the Godalming defence after 14 minutes. Fellow striker Slater kept his cool to run on and calmly place his shot beyond the advancing keeper and into the bottom corner.

Soon afterwards, Dan Boyle sent a 30-yard lob narrowly wide with goalkeeper Jamie Norris struggling.

While at the other end, Godalming’s Gavin Smith saw his goalbound volley blocked.

Then, on the half hour, the visitors drew level. A long free-kick was launched in from the left and when the ball dropped to Dan Read, he drilled his shot low into the corner.

The game became increasingly niggly as half-time approached.

But Moneys still found enough quality to rattle the woodwork twice, with Hutchings and Dan Gauntlett both going close.

The second half continued in a tetchy manner, with Gee and Smith booked after squaring up to one another.

But on 67 minutes, it was the visitors who went in front.

Scott Harris turned on the edge of the area and squeezed his shot past Dave Hook and inside the post to give Godalming the lead.

Blake saw his awkward bouncing effort pushed away at full stretch by Norris as Moneys pushed forward in search of a leveller.

And when Norris failed to hold Hutchings’ 20-yard shot, there was no-one on hand to capitalise.

Godalming then sealed the tie four minutes from time when Read was put through to shoot past Hook at the near post.

MONEYFIELDS: Hook, Evans, Bailey, Lee, Page, Morgan, Blake, Gauntlett, Slater, Hutchings, Boyle. Subs: Wain, Gregory, Gee, N’Doye, Hore, Scott

GODALMING TOWN: Norris, Hollis, Lake, Simeone, Foulser, Cooper, Read, Short, Smith, Wheeler, Edward. Subs: Palmer, Harris, Baker, Mills