Bradbury celebrates deal in style as Hawks crush Farnborough

Perry Ryan fires Hawks ahead against Farnborough. Picture: Dave Haines
Perry Ryan fires Hawks ahead against Farnborough. Picture: Dave Haines
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

Hawks manager Lee Bradbury celebrated a new two-year deal by guiding his side into the semi-finals of the Hampshire Senior Cup with an emphatic 3-0 victory against Farnborough last night.

Perry Ryan’s opener and two goals from Nic Ciardini earned the Hawks a fine 3-0 win at Westleigh Park.

It was an impressive performance and crowned a fine night for the home side.

Bradbury is delighted to have committed his future to the club.

He said: ‘It’s great to know that I am going to be here for another two years, working with this group of players.

‘The club is ambitious and that’s why I am happy to dedicate my future here.

‘We have already put in a lot of hard work but there is a job still to be done.

‘My aim is to get us as high up the league as possible and eventually up to the next level.

‘Chairman Derek Pope has been here 32 years and deserves to see that, for all the hard work, sweat, and tears he has put into the club.

‘The way we have performed in recent weeks, we have looked like a team ready to move on.

‘We have gone 11 games unbeaten now and there is confidence running through the side.

‘It’s very pleasing to score three goals, keep another clean sheet, and progress into the semi-finals.’

The game was given the go-ahead after a late pitch inspection.

Bradbury named a full-strength starting line-up and Hawks went on the attack from the start.

Farnborough full-back Josh Huggins picked up an early booking for a crunching challenge on Christian Nanetti.

Hawks full-back Dan Blanchett was then sent flying as Jesse Bowers halted his progress.

From the free-kick, the ball was laid off to Ciardini just inside the area but the ex-Farnborough player saw his shot blocked.

Hawks went ahead when Perry Ryan netted a stunning 20-yard strike.

Sahr Kabba picked up a forward ball and worked it back to Ryan who smashed his shot past ex-Hawks goalkeeper Kevin Scriven.

On the half hour, Kabba missed a good chance, blasting over after Ciardini’s shot was pushed out by Scriven.

At the start of the second half, Ryan made an important last-ditch block to prevent Huggins from equalising.

Nigel Atangana and Nanetti then combined superbly through the middle, making light of the heavily cut up pitch.

Ciardini headed back when the ball was crossed to the far post but Nanetti failed to make contact.

At the other end, Hawks keeper Scott Bevan pulled off a spectacular one-handed save to deny Dan Bennett.

That stung the Hawks into action and on 71 minutes Ciardini crashed in their second goal.

Scriven beat out a fierce Atangana shot but a poor clearance allowed Ciardini to fizz a fierce shot into the bottom far corner.

Seven minutes from time, Ciardini sealed the win with a terrific close-range half-volley from a Warren Cummings free-kick.

Hawks: Bevan, Strugnall, Blanchett, Ryan, Monteiro, Harris, Nanetti, Atangana, Oli, Kabba, Ciardini. Subs: Woodford, Cummings, Przespolewski, Hutchinson, Ramsey.

Farnborough: Scriven, Huggins, Bosch, Rose, Bowers, Siaw, Bennett, Laidler, Page, Ashikodi, Berry. Subs: Hammond, Fearn, James-Lewis.

Referee: S. Ogles (Romsey).