Bradbury: Two points lost for Hawks at Eastleigh

Sahr Kabba netted for Hawks. Picture: Dave Haines
Sahr Kabba netted for Hawks. Picture: Dave Haines
Ben Wright waits on the referee to award one of his goals. Picture: Vernon Nash (180380-107)

Borough striker pleased to make most of Frome plight

Have your say

LEE BRADBURY expressed his frustration after the Hawks were held to a 2-2 draw by Eastleigh in a thrilling derby last night.

Sahr Kabba and Christian Nanetti scored to give the visitors a two-goal lead in the second half.

But they could not hold on as Eastleigh were handed a controversial penalty to reduce the deficit and then levelled matters soon after.

In a dramatic finish, the home side pushed for a winner but Hawks held out.

However, manager Bradbury felt they should have been celebrating a victory.

He said: ‘It was two points lost.

‘Once you get into that position – 2-0 up – you expect to go on and win the game.

‘The penalty award was harsh and we felt our keeper had pushed the ball away – not the man.

‘But once again, we are coming away frustrated because we haven’t won.

‘In the first half we were under the cosh but we defended well.

‘The lads can take a lot of confidence from this performance against a team who will be pushing at the top.’

Striker Kelvin Bossman made the bench for Hawks after he signed a two-week deal on non-contract terms.

Perry Ryan and Nanetti replaced Eddie Hutchinson and Emmanuel Ighorae in the team.

The home side started well and Michael Green hit the top of the bar from an acute angle.

Eastleigh debutant Chris Zebroski had the ball in the net after 25 minutes but the referee spotted his handball.

Hawks keeper Clark Masters was a busy man and had to tip Green’s drive onto the bar.

After being under pressure for much of the half, the Hawks stunned the hosts just three minutes into the second half.

Chris Arthur sent in a deep corner for Alex Grant to head down at the far post and Kabba stabbed the ball home.

On 58 minutes, Hawks added a second.

Home keeper Ross Flitney dropped another Arthur corner, then felled Grant and the referee immediately pointed to the spot.

Nanetti made no mistake with his penalty – driving it straight down the middle.

On 64 minutes, though, Masters was adjudged to have committed a foul in the area and Jai Reason reduced the deficit from the spot.

Eastleigh then grabbed an equaliser on 73 minutes when Mark Hughes looped a header over Masters from a corner.

In the last 10 minutes, Hawks came under severe pressure but Dan Strugnell headed a shot off the line as they left with a point.

EASTLEIGH: Flitney, Spence, Green, Lacey, Beckwith, Todd, Hughes, Southampton, Zebroski, Reason, Binns.

Subs: Forbes, Dovey, Watkins, Nelson, Peacock.

HAWKS: Masters, Newton, Grant, Ryan, Harris, Strugnell, Nanetti, Kewley-Graham, Palmer, Kabba, Arthur. Subs: Hutchinson, Bossman, Ighorae, Woodford, Hinshelwood.

Referee: D. Woolford (Andover).

Att: 579