Brilliant Bognor just two games from Wembley

Bognor striker Jason Prior    Picture: Tim Hale
Bognor striker Jason Prior Picture: Tim Hale
Have your say

BOGNOR’S FA Trophy heroics continued as they beat Sutton United 2-1 after extra-time to reach the last eight.

They’re just two games from the Wembley final after Jason Prior and an own goal put them through against the National League South high flyers.

The Rocks took the lead in the 18th minute with a lovely flowing move.

Alfie Rutherford and Doug Tuck led a break but appeared outnumbered, before working the ball out to Alex Parsons.

His cross fell to Tuck beyond the far post and when the midfielder’s own delivery came back off the angle of post and bar, Prior was there to finish the loose ball.

Sutton levelled in controversial circumstances 10 minutes later.

A penalty was given for an innocuous-looking tackle right on the edge of the area and Stuart Fleetwood sent Grant Smith the wrong way from the spot.

The second half was a fairly even affair in which neither side was able to create a clear-cut chance until the latter stages.

But the final 10 minutes saw Bognor pile on the pressure – just as they had done late in the first game – with Prior and subs Ollie Pearce and Stuart Green all going close.

Sutton’s best chance came when left-back Dan Wishart struck the post

Extra-time saw tired legs but the Rocks had the edge and regained the lead a minute before the end of the first period.

Pearce swung in another great cross from the right and as Prior went for it defender Dean Beckwith crashed a header past his own keeper.

Nyewood Lane erupted and in truth there were few scares for them as they played out the final 15 minutes.

Elsewhere, AFC Portchester came from behind to beat Petersfield Town 3-1 in their Russell-Cotes Cup quarter-final tie.

Visitors Petersfield led at the interval thanks to Oliver Bailey.

But Joe Bye’s penalty, Rob Evans’ strike and a late goal from substitute Miles Everett booked Graham Rix’s side a place in the last four.