Burney shines for Hayling in Vase

Hayling and Portchester do battle in the Vase
Hayling and Portchester do battle in the Vase
Share this article
Gosport have taken a lift from Craig McAllister's leadership. Picture: Keith Woodland

Gosport encouraged ahead of Redditch trip

Have your say

SUPER-SUB Lenny Burney won praise from Hayling boss Steve Poulton after scoring twice in their FA Vase success.

The 10-man Humbugs saw off local rivals AFC Portchester 5-2 in a dramatic contest.

Burney came off the bench to play a key role in sealing the victory.

Alex Easton, Ryan Gadd and Aaron Kinchen were also on the mark for the Humbugs.

Will Tickle and Simon Woods scored for Portchester.

‘Lenny Burney came off the bench and used his pace to grab a couple of goals which went a long way to seeing us through a difficult spell,’ said Poulton.

‘It looked as though Portchester would grab an equaliser and take the match into extra-time.

‘They made a real fight of it and the match wasn’t won until the changes were made.’

Easton and Gadd scored to put Hayling 2-0 up inside the opening 15 minutes.

Tickle then pulled one back to set the contest up nicely.

Portchester looked good for an equaliser as they took charge.

Hayling were then reduced to 10 men, when Pete Murphy picked up a second yellow card and was ordered off.

Poulton added: ‘The sending off was very harsh.

‘But it didn’t seem to make that much difference as the lads plugged the gaps and gave very little away afterwards.’

With Murphy’s influence in midfield gone, Poulton decided attack was the best form of defence.

Burney joined Easton up front and quickly made his mark.

He burst clear to make it 3-1.

Portchester striker Woods nipped through to pull one back for 3-2.

But Burney added his second to clinch victory and Kinchen also netted.

Poulton is hoping the Humbugs can take their form into the Wessex premier division.

He said: ‘Now we can get on with taking some points in our next couple of league matches.’

Tomorrow night Hayling face Hamworthy.

Horndean came from behind three times to beat Western League Melksham Town 4-3 in the FA Vase at Five Heads Park.

Simon Stone scored a first-half penalty to send the teams in level 1-1 at the break.

Goals from Nathan Paxton and man-of-the-match Gavin Spurway saw Horndean peg the visitors back twice after the break.

And Paxton then hit a 75th-minute winner.

‘It is very pleasing to have a bit more prize money going into the coffers,’ said manager Dave Carter.

Fareham Town were dumped out by Alton Town 6-3 at Cams Alders.

The Brewers raced into a 3-1 lead and though the Reds hit back to level at 3-3, the visitors went on to seal an impressive win.

Matt Burt, Kieran Lewis and Ashley Tattersall grabbed Fareham’s goals.

United Services crashed to a 3-0 defeat to Swanage & Herston.

Petersfield Town roared to an excellent 4-0 win at Warminster Town.

In the Wessex League premier division, Moneyfields stormed back to the top of the league with a 4-1 win over Bournemouth Poppies at Dover Road.

Bobby Scott, signed from Blackfield & Langley, grabbed a brace on his debut.

Steve Hutchings and Jake Slater also scored.

‘We played with a lot more passion,’ said manager Miles Rutherford.