Carter keen to get back on track after Horndean humbling

Tommy Woodward, left. Picture: Sarah Standing (128010-4585)
Tommy Woodward, left. Picture: Sarah Standing (128010-4585)
Ollie Pearce scored for Bognor in their match today. Picture: Tommy McMillan

Bognor get first win in six months

Have your say

Dave Carter is determined to focus on the future after his Horndean side crashed out of the FA Vase on Saturday.

The Deans went down 5-0 to Bemerton Heath Harlequins at Five Heads Park.

The writing was on the wall after just five minutes as the visitors raced into a 2-0 lead.

But while Carter was disappointed the club’s best-ever Vase run had come to an end, he is already eyeing a return to form tomorrow night when Downton visit (7.45pm).

‘We lost the match in the first 15 or so minutes by giving them a head start,’ he said.

‘And we never recovered once they had gone in at half-time 3-0 up.

‘Without making excuses, seven of my first choice squad were out for one reason or another.

‘And many decisions went against us, which was also annoying to say the least.

‘But there it is – two clear-cut penalty decisions went against us and if we had been given them it could have made a difference.

‘It is very disappointing to be out of the competition.

‘But at least we have gone further than any Horndean side in the past.

‘What’s gone, has gone, so perhaps we can take out our frustration on Downton who visit us in the league tomorrow evening.’

Bemerton may have heaped more misery on the Deans had it not been for the heroics of keeper Simon Howard.

The stopper made a couple of fine saves to deny Harlequins striker Dan Young a first-half hat-trick – and also came to his side’s rescue again late on. But Young and Dan Bowman did more than enough to see their side through.

The pair netted a goal each in a frenetic start before Young made the most of yet more naive defending to make it 3-0 shortly after.

There was a startling gulf in experience between the two sides.

But the Deans were worthy of a goal at the very least for a spirited display.

However, they had little luck in the final third as efforts by Dan Hayes, Nathan Paxton and Tommy Woodward were either saved by Bemerton keeper Grant Porter or cleared off the line.

On a different day, Rob de Sport may have earned his side a penalty when he was taken out by Bemerton’s Dan Pancaldi while in full flight.

But the referee waved away the appeals, as he did late on when Woodward went down.

And just to rub salt into Horndean’s wounds, Bemerton wrapped up the tie with two late headed goals from Graham Mankin and Jack Slade to earn themselves the £1,500 prize and a place in the hat for the next round.