Carter’s pride as record rolls on with Moneys

Dave Carter. Picture: Neil Marshall
Dave Carter. Picture: Neil Marshall
Have your say

Dave Carter continues to possess the Midas touch in the Wessex League premier division.

He is yet to suffer a loss in the competition this season – with either of the two clubs he has managed.

Formerly at Horndean, Carter is now in charge of Moneyfields.

And he sent the Dover Road club out to maintain that record with a hard-fought 1-0 win over nine-man Blackfield & Langley at Gang Warily on Saturday.

Moneyfields did lose at Cowes Sports soon after Carter took over but the manager was away on holiday.

‘To get to December without losing a game in the league is a record I am proud of,’ he said.

‘We did well against a big, physical Blackfield side who will finish in the top three this season.

‘Even though they went down to nine men, we still had to break down their two banks of four.

‘Their pitch is massive and on a good surface we were able to play our football.

‘Our back four remained well organised and snuffed out the threat of their dangerous striker.’

The home side were reduced to 10 men after 35 minutes following an elbow on Curtis De Costa

Another dismissal 10 minutes from full-time was quickly followed by the 83rd-minute winner scored by Moneys substitute Gary Austin.

The striker was playing his first game since arriving at the club from Fareham Town.

He joined the Reds from Horndean only to move straight on to Dover Road.

Austin netted his debut goal with a left-foot volley from 12 yards.

‘It was very encouraging to see him score in his first game for a while because of injury,’ said Carter.

‘We had a lot of possession but lacked a striker.’

AFC Portchester shrugged off the absence of a few key players to move up to third with a 3-0 win at Hamworthy United.

Luke Sweeney grabbed a brace with Geoff Dunn also finding the target.

‘The players who came in did a fantastic job,’ said Royals manager Graham Rix.

‘We applied ourselves from start to finish.

‘Our goalkeeper Lyall Beazeley couldn’t have had an easier debut.’

Fareham Town suffered more weather woes as their game against Bournemouth at Cams Alders was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch.

The Reds continue to be plagued by a collapsed drain in the one corner of their ground.