Catlin blames first-half defending as Portchester lose at Bashley

Steve Ramsey was on the scoresheet against Bashley Picture: Neil Marshall
Steve Ramsey was on the scoresheet against Bashley Picture: Neil Marshall

Mick Catlin blamed a below par first half performance for AFC Portchester’s 2-1 Wessex Premier defeat at Bashley.

All the goals came in the first half and though the Royals worked hard after the break they couldn’t find an equaliser.

Catlin was also unhappy with some of his side’s sloppy defending. ‘It was disappointing because over the 90 minutes I felt we deserved to get something from the game,’ said Catlin.

‘After falling behind we got ourselves back in it with a penalty. Then on the stroke of half-time we conceded a second goal when we should have been seeing the game out.

‘If we had gone in level at the break we might have had a bit more belief. It was our first-half performance that cost us. Our situation wasn’t helped by having to replace three players through injury in the opening 45 minutes. That disrupted us and we were forced to reshuffle.

‘In the second half we dug in and made a fight of it. Their goalkeeper pulled off a couple of good saves but Bashley also had chances in an end-to-end game.’

The Royals fell behind after 15 minutes when the hosts they got behind the visiting defence and squared the ball back across goal. Steve Ramsey levelled from the penalty spot after Mike Turvey was upended in the home area.

As half-time loomed the Royals were attacking but lost possession and conceded a second goal. Charlie Cooper, George Tuson-Furth and Adam Cripps were all replaced before the second half.

‘We huffed and puffed but couldn’t find a goal,’ said Catlin. ‘If you don’t defend properly you are not going to win matches. We have a very young side and a few didn’t reach the levels of our past few games. With other teams not playing we didn’t lose any ground and it is still all to play for.’

Fareham’s clash with Portland and Horndean’s versus Bournemouth Poppies were rained off.