Deans boss delighted by five-star win

Craig Pearce. Picture: Paul Jacobs (160226-1)
Craig Pearce. Picture: Paul Jacobs (160226-1)
Have your say

Craig Pearce felt Horndean’s 5-0 win at Folland Sports was their most complete Wessex League premier division performance for some time.

Nathan Kirby opened the scoring before Matt Burt and substitute Albert Egboh notched doubles in the dominant display.

‘We played well and could have won by a few more,’ said Deans boss Pearce.

‘Apart from the goals, we also missed a penalty and a couple of good chances in the second half.

‘We were in total control and took advantage of their big pitch to play our football.’

Kirby opened the scoring after 10 minutes with a near-post header from a George Callard cross.

Burt extended the lead with another header before the break and then completed his brace in the second period.

Substitute Egboh scored twice in the final half-hour.

The visitors also gave a second-half debut to Sam House, who has signed from Totton & Eling.

Horndean now face a busy week – with games at Blackfield & Langley tonight and at Verwood Town 48 hours later.

Moneyfields returned to action following a welcome rest with an excellent 3-0 win at Newport.

Gary Austin notched a double with Robbie Pitman sealing the points late on in the second half.

‘Not having a game in midweek gave us a good break after playing three times a week for the last month,’ said Moneys boss Dave Carter.

‘It meant we could show our quality rather than just trying to get through a game.

‘We kept the ball well and scored our goals at the right time.’

Fareham Town manager Steve Stone blamed tired legs for his side’s 1-1 draw against Fawley at Cams Alders.

‘We had a tough derby with AFC Portchester on Thursday night and that took its toll,’ said Stone.

‘There were plenty of tired legs out there.’

The Reds trailed to a contentious penalty at the break but a Dale Clark header in the second period earned them a share of the spoils.

AFC Portchester kept their faint promotion hopes alive by coming from behind to beat Verwood Town 3-1 at Wicor Rec.

‘We were not very good in the first half but improved after a little discussion at half-time,’ said manager Graham Rix.

‘By the end we fully deserved our win.’

Steve Ramsay, Josh Warren and Joe Bye scored theRoyals second half goals.