Deans delight... Rampant Royals... Fareham frustration

Horndean striker Robbie Tambling   Picture: Neil Marshall
Horndean striker Robbie Tambling Picture: Neil Marshall
Have your say

HORNDEAN pulled off a terrific 3-1 win in their FA Vase second round qualifying replay at Longwell Green Sports tonight.

The Deans led 1-0 at the break courtesy of a Robbie Tambling header from a Louie Martin corner.

The Western League hosts equalised with a penalty a minute into the second half but Dan Woodward pounced twice, one from the penalty spot, to seal the visitors passage through.

Their reward is a home tie against Barnstaple in the next round.

‘It is a terrific win at a tough place to come,’ said Horndean boss Dave Carter.

‘They kicked us all over the park and it was a real battle.

‘We stood up to it and I am proud of the lads.’

A sparkling first-half display set AFC Portchester on their way to a thumping 5-1 derby win over Moneyfields in the Wessex League premier division.

The Royals ran riot in the opening 45 minutes, with all of the evening’s goals arriving before the break.

Moneys were unable to contain the rampant hosts who put them to the sword.

The rout began in the second minute when Portchester were gifted their opener from the penalty spot following a handball in the box.

Alex Baldacchino, who missed from the spot at the weekend, made no mistake on this occasion.

Eight minutes later a terrific Baldacchino run ended with a shot the goalkeeper partially saved, leaving Jason Parish to knock in the rebound.

It got worse for the visitors who fell further behind in the 24th minute to a close-range Joe Bye tap-in.

Steve Hutchings pulled a goal back in the 31st minute but the respite was brief for Miles Rutherford’s team.

Parish grabbed his second with a composed finish before Louis Castles capitalised on a mix-up between goalkeeper and defender to run the ball into an empty net.

In the second half the game fizzled out and there was no further scoring.

Fareham Town’s league encounter against Team Solent was postponed due to waterlogged pitch at Cams Alders.